Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Painting advice needed

I need to paint over parts of the re-chromed dash in my 1950 Mercury. I was told to mask it off with pinstripper's tape and then bead blast the area to be painted to improve adhesion. However, I could use some advice on what type of paint to use. (Plus any tips on painting over chrome.)

Also, I was thinking of buying a gravity feed touch-up sprayer for this. They range in price from $30 to $300. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Painting advice needed

Vince:
I thought I would take a break from walking the Hershey fields and answers some questions. I don't know how much you are going to paint but auto manufactures did not bead blast anything when they painted emblems. pinstriping tape will not protect the area. I would make sure that the area is really clean and use sign painters enamel or one shot to paint your area unless it is a large area and then I would use a two part epoxy paint. I have found that a guy from Harbor Freight works as well as most mid rang guns and it is a lot cheaper. The best gun on the market is a SATA gun.
Have a nice day.
Jan
Jan

Do You own a car built by Durant? star

Jan - I agree about the manufacturers but I couldn't find any painter who had any idea what they used. I tried seveal professional auto painters, two pinstrippers and a restorer. Where would I get the paints you mentioned. The local auto paint store was of no help. Thanks.

P.S. Its a small area - just the area between the ribs on the half-dash.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Interesting that the paint striper did not know about these paints. These are the paints that they use and they are slow drying enamels. Stripers use them so they can just wipe off the paint if they make a mistake. I will see if I can find you a source.
Jan

Here is one shot website. http://www.1shot.com/home.html

Jan

Hi Vince. I have found a supplier here in Vallejo off 37, colors are limited. This is lettering enamel.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club