Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wiring harness

Hi Everyone
I have a small question . What side of the car does the wiring harness attach to . I have a new harness but never had an old one so I dont know how it was routed. The wiring diagram does not tell me that. Would it attach to the drivers side or the passenger side or would it matter atall.My guess is the drivers side but would like to be sure. Would be nice to have my tail lights and all accessories working. Only thing left is a battery and then to try to start it . Sure hope it runs . Have a lot yto go before its road worthy but if it runs that would be a great incentive to work on it.
thanks guys
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant -model6 14- deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: wiring harness

Ken, On the Stars, the harness is routed on the right side of the engine and car and enter thru the firewall on the right side. This is because of the location of the generator, timer, and starter. The wires going back to the tail lights are attached to the inside edge of the bottom sill, just below the floor boards.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Hi Ken. I agree with you about starting it. I get discouraged quite often but then it flares up after putting some gas in the gas can swinging off the rad braces, pull out the choke / throttle, turn on the key and stomping on the floor switch. Rurr rurr and away she goes a few min. (gas tank is still partly full of post 1932 ??? whatever. Some one put the can on over 40 years ago. You think a moose stinks when it backfires. Whatever is in the tank will take your nose hairs off)
On your other subject I looked in my 1930 614 owners manual and the wiring goes down the drivers side. Makes sense as all our things, starter / generator are drivers side unlike pre 30 its reversed the entire motor.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Thanks for the confirmation of my thoughts . I thought they went down the drivers side but wanted to be certain Now I can put the harness on . then the fun will be to connect everything up I sure hope it works and dont see why it shouldn't. I will keep you all posted.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant -model6 14- deluxe rumble seat coupe

Norm
I would say you best drain the existing gas and replace with new fresh stuff.
Or in an emergency -pour in some stabil gas treatment--maybe it will get rid of the bad smell. (long as you dont have a dead moose under the seat) ooops --better make that MOUSE.
Ken

Mouse was flatter than a pancake I discovered a month ago. Wondered what the gray fluff was on the asphalt as I went to slid under Dot to change mufflers. Then noticed the tail. Put a tin pan of mice food on the back floor of Dorothy as there are lots of holes to get into her. Litterly. She's rusted drivers side under the back door and across where the fender attaches. Fender isn't much better where you can't see it. Odd part is the wood seems tough as nails there. Its the wood from rain gutter up that's sort of there in places. Header is a row of bolts above the window. Stupid Co. Where did they think the rain would splash but up under the sun visor onto the untreated wood ? I rather doubt they sealed behind the rain gutters either.
Poor old girl was used summer and winter yet there is lots of old grease on every fitting or anything that turned so she was well lubed, that way.

I stuck a dowel into the tank a few days ago and there seems about an inch of ??? in there. Might be varnish or something that's a thick syrup now, plus rust flakes. Doubt its pourable. Its black on your fingers if you touch the neck accidently. Dot was last plated 1961 to Covil's auto wrecker near Brockville and of course I don't know if she was driven in or dragged. She didn't go far from home as the 1st owner lived in Brockville. Who knows what Covil's did to her before the fellow I bought it off of, 40 years before him. Oddly she wasn't stripped of many parts and could have been used by Alan Covil, himself. Half the handles in and out, stone guard, rad cap, orig lights and back bumper medallions. Drive train is complete and 5 orig caps on the wheels, battered but still there. We were still driving these cars in the 60's. My father in law still used his 48 Dodge in 1968 when I married. Both my chum and I in the 60 / 70's had 31 / 30 D 614's and visited wrecking yards for parts. That's what makes me think she might have been kept to one side and used by him, rather than out in the yard to be vandalized and stripped. Its almost like Covil replaced missing or broken bits with what he had in the yard. Sure would be interesting to back pedal and know her history.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club