Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hurricane Ike

Has anyone heard from Jack Melpass? Jack lives in Magnolia,TX in the northwest outskirts of Huston and would have been in the path of the storm, also it appeared that Ike's path curved and may have hit Texarcana where Don Shillings lives...Much of the storm was unfolding as we held our annual meet in Astoria and the pictures I am seeing looks pretty bad...Hope and pray all is well for those people that have been affected by this storm.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

Re: Hurricane Ike

We fared a lot better than the poor folks down on the coast. The eye passed within a few miles West of me and all we got was a lot of rain (which we badly needed) and 55 mph winds. There were many trees blown over around Texarkana and the resulting power outages but all I lost was a garbage can lid. I had the kerosene lamps primed but our electricity stayed on. I did have a lot of tree limbs to clean up but no damage to any of my buildings or house. I mostly sat on the back porch with my cigar and a Mountain Dew and watched the activity.
Sunday dawned clear and cool as the folks up in Ohio were getting whacked.
This was a rare occurrence for us here as the last hurricane to pass thru Texarkana was in 1915.

Re: Hurricane Ike

Don,
Good on you. Glad you faired OKay from Hurricane Ike. We on the Gulf Coast of Florida watch and wait, through each storm. Luckily nothing much so far this year for us. For those who don't know the destruction of "just" a Cat 1, 2 or 3 storm open these web sites. A Cat 4 or 5 are exponential in their destruction (usually total even far inland).
Lance C.

This link was forwarded to me. Pics of Ike's damage. Unbelievable.
Really take a good look at the 2 pictures of the single houses and wonder how in the world they made it!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html

This was the town of Bolivar Texas (or what's left of it) on the Texas Gulf Coast.

http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/ike/photo-comparisons/bolivar.html

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club