Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A-22 engine rebuild

I'm in the process of having a 1923 a-22 (ohv 4) engine rebuilt. I'm informed that the babbitted main bears are just that, all babbitt material with no backing. So the rebuilder is looking for a different insert that can be built up and used. Just curious if anyone has some insight as to replacing the main bearings. thanks Bob

Re: A-22 engine rebuild

Hi Bob,

I am a bit confused, your rebuilder said that the main bearing insert shells are solid babbitt? You got my curisoty up so I pulled the center main bearing cap on a '23 A-22 engine I have setting around and it in fact has a heavy brass shell with babbitt facing...Would you suppose that different bearing suppliers may have produced different styles of bearings or possiably your bearings are aftermarket? I am supprized that (if solid babbitt) that the rear flange on the center thrust bearing would survive as the one that I removed showed an appreciable amount of wear on both the flange and the crank...Let us know what you come up with.

Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

Bob & Bill:
Will and I looked at a box of spare parts that we have. The centre cap is bronze backed with thrust bushing on each side of the centre cap. However, we have an end cap, I believe the front one and it appears to be babbit alone, no bronze backing. We do not have a complete set and do not know if we will need what we have as we have not dismantled the engine in the car. I guess you will need to find an old time babbit shop to see if they have the proper moulds for the job.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Gordon,et All,
Hemmings has a listing for 4 shops under Services: Babitting, Page 180, Sept 2008;

(1.)Harkin Machine shop,Watertown,S.D. (605)886-7880. They say babbit work since 1906.
(2.)Babbit Pot,Fort Edward N.Y. (518) 747-4277. They say since 1972, custon work, owner operated.
(3.)Effingham Regrinding Inc.,Effingham Il.(217) 342-4186. All types of quality ngine work since 1943.
(4.)Paul's Rod and bearing, Mo. Ask for Russ; (816) 587-4747. All types engine babbit work, also "pour eng blocks & line bore, pour tin and lead base babbit".

Let me and the Club know what you find out! I will need this service for my 1926 Locomobiles Jr 8 engines.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Harkin Machine Shop (605)886-7880 did the babitt in my 14L.

Rick

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/events/dmac2008/index.html

I used Harkin also, he rebabbited a rod bearing for me, did an excellent job. It was sized right, no shimming, no filing, perfect.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes. 1930 Durant 614 Sedan

Well it looks like Harkins Machine Shop is the place to use. Terry there knew what I was talking about, said he could help. He even knew all the names of the people at the Michigan machine shop that are rebuilding the motor, he does all their babbitting work. Hopefully I'll be on the road soon Bob

Bob:
Glad to hear that you are making progress. Keep me in the loop. We may need similar work done in the future.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

It does appear that both front and rear main bearings are solid babbit with no backing and just the center thrust bearing has the bronze backing...I would imagine that Hawkins will cast or pour your bearings slightly undersize for your machine shop to line bore...Let us know how you make out.

Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club