Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Want to get a rolling chassis: M-2 or earlier

I am looking for a rolling Durant chassis M-2 or earlier. I would like to begin a smallish project that will fit in my one-car garage. Please let me know if any reasonable possibilities are out there...or am I barking up a dead tree?

Do You own a car built by Durant? Used to: 1928 M-2

Re: Want to get a rolling chassis: M-2 or earlier

there is a little star coupe on ebay now

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 COUPE AND 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Thanks, Gary, I saw it today also. I wonder what the reserve proce is? The main reason for my interest in a rolling chassis is lack of a big chunk of money for a complete car. I may have to start with a frame and two axle assemblies and go from there. Reality is making this a piecemeal job (if at all). Thanks for replying. I am glad I joined the club and hope to be in Astoria on Saturday.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Used to: 1928 M-2

Hi John
I have not done many restoration projects, and am not an expert. However, I think you would be better off to buy a complete car in most any condition than to try and piece a car together. Some of these missing parts could hang you up for months or longer. A piece meal project possibly could be overwhelming and never completed. I have always heard not to buy a basket case car, because of the missing parts.
As you are doing this project this web forum in invaluable.
Have FUN,
Don

Where Are You From? RacingRust

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star single seat dirt track racer (in progress)

I think that star on ebay is a rugby or it has a lot of rugby parts on it.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

I've done frame-off restorations only to find it would have been far cheaper to buy an older restoration or someone else's project and fix it the way you want. The market for pre-war, non-classics has always been thin and people needing to sell one usually take a deep discount from what they have in the car.

As it is, this segment of the market is getting thinner as us car-nuts go to the great junk yard in the sky. The younger generation just doesn't have much oil in their blood. Look at the age of the guys at your next swap meet.

On the other hand, I just can't resist salvaging a basket case rusting away in a field......

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club