Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vehicle Registration

I and my friends have been working on my 1921 Dort Model 17 Touring and it now runs and is nearly original. Needs new top, and needs to be painted. I called on getting an antique vehicle license and was told that it needs to have brake lights, turn signals, etc. It never occured to me after all these years of working on it. Does this seem correct for a car made without any of this stuff? I haven't checked further so maybe the state police officer on the phone was mistaken. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Dick Riel

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: Vehicle Registration

Since it's the job of the state to regulate vehicles, there are a many different rules out there.
But I suspect that the person you spoke is not familiar with antique cars and how to register them.
Here in California it's not really hard, but since antique motorcars are not something they have to deal
with on a regular basis, employees are thought the things that they will know on a daily basis.
I'm not familiar with the procedure in Indiana, but with the large number of Studebakers manufactured
there I'll bet that a DMV supervisor will know how to handle your car. Another idea, if you're a member of AAA,
many offices have DMV services that may know who to contact in the DMV.

in Pa., even the Amish horse carts need taillights and such....it is a safety issue....

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 COUPE AND 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Like Rick said each state has different rules and regulations. Most antique cars did come with at least one brake light, and most states will allow that with an antique. I know in Florida antique cars do not have to have turn signals and seat belts if they were not originally equiped with them. But do you really want to drive on the roads today without turn signals. I know that the Antique Automobile Club of America does not deduct judging points for turn signals and safety equipment if installed neatly and with a period look. Our cars did not have safety glass either, but I know when I replace my glass it will be safety glass and I will install turn signals, but they will look period and be the less intrusive looking kind. I would contact one of your local Model T clubs or AACA clubs and talk to some of them about what they do and the local laws. They can help you out since they have probably already been through it.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with the safety thoughts as well as understanding show judging. I am not looking to compete but I thought some local shows might be nice as well as meets with Dorts, and Gray-Dorts in Canada.

Thanks again!

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

The Durant Motors Automobile Club