Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flywheel ring gear

Hello,

After 24 years on the road, my Model R (see my cars pics in the 'photographs' part of this site)needs a new flywheel ring gear. I'm pretty sure it's 112 teeth. Does anyone know of a source for these - and exact dimensions? Even a manufacturer and a part no. would be good - that way I could ask swapmeet vendors of such items with more authority.

Thanks

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Rugby Model R

Re: Flywheel ring gear

Rick,
Even though 4 and 6 cylinder cars used different flywheels, they all used the same ring gear. In fact, all Stars and many Durants used the same ring gear. If you can't find a new replacement, it would not be a difficult matter to remove a good used one from a 4 cyl flywheel and put on your flywheel.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

check Vintage Auto Parts,Inc .They have flywheel ring gears for our cars www.Vapinc.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

Rick
As a kind of temp repair you can remove the ring gear and turn it a third of the rotation so you jave new teeth for the starter to hit --It worked for me
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant deluxe rumble seat coupe

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm thinking the 1/3rd rotation is a good idea to get me out of a bind, until I see a NOS lying on the ground somewhere. I didn't even think that a 4 cyl car would have used the same gear, but makes perfect sense when you think about it. Thanks again for all your thoughts and replies - by the way - has anybody ever measured the ID and OD of one of these ring gears?

Hi Rick. A chap advertises new ring gears in "Restored Cars" Can find for you. I have several used flywheels.
Sid

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Rick
Maybe I should revise my statement--My car is a six cylinder therefore 1/3 rotation works You have a 4 cylinder--probably need to turn it 1/4 turn or 90 degrees. just so you get new teeth for the starter to hit
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-Model 614 - Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Guys,
Are you pulling my leg? Maybe I'm missing something but an engine turns over, with each revolution. Mine never stops in the same place, the same time?

What I have heard (and done) before is reverse the Ring gear on the Flywheel (if possible). This puts "new" sides of the same teeth for the Starter to catch. You can also "dress" the teeth (a bit) with a flat file too. It worked for me, but is no real substitute for a NEW ring gear.

Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Lance, you cannot reverse a Durant ring gear because there is a bevel on each gear tooth to aid in starter engagement.
Also, a properly fitted 4 cyl engine will always stop in one of two positions every time. A 6 cyl engine will stop in one of three positions. It all has to do with crankshaft configuration and the compression strokes.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

No kidding Lance---look at your flywheel--you will see the teeth are worn where the flywheel is hit by the starter--a six in three locations and a four --as don says in two spots
Hard to believe but true
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-Model 614 - Deluxe rumble seat coupe

I would like to chime in and say that reversing the ring gear might work just fine in most cases. I have done this on a tractor recently, that is, to reproduce the "bevel or angle cut" on the now reversed side with a file or combination of files. Sometimes the ring gear may have a chamfer on the inside diameter to give some clearence for the radius at the locating step in the flywheel. If this is the case then just file one on it so it will clear. It does take a little time to do but if you are handy with a file and it is a part that is hard to find or expensive, it might be well worth the effort.

Just another idea and that is to repair the teeth. The process is explained at http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/OXY_handbook/589oxy1_1.htm Look under the section for Hard-Surfacing, rebuilding. The missing section of teeth is built up and than reshaped with a file. This does not seem to be as much work as moving the gear. This is also a great site for welding info.

Thanks again all for your suggestions. My problem is that the starter pinion has ridden up over the ring gear teeth and worn them to the point that it just makes an awful screech when those batch of teeth come around to the starter motor.

My car is in fact a 6, not a 4, so the one/third rotation would work. An old mechanic mate of mine told me exactly the same thing - ie. the motor tends to stop in the one place the majority of the time - hence rotation would work. But I'm thinking that if I have to go to the trouble of removing the flywheel out of the car to do the rotation fix, then I might as well be putting on a ring gear that is either NOS, or still has some 'teeth life' left in it.

Sid - I've rung and spoken to that bloke in Restored Cars, but after 6 months am still awaiting his return call to advise if he has stock! What sort of condition are your apares in? I would be very interested in obtaining one if suitable please.

Thanks again

Rick

Try jmoore1943@aol.com He had an ad posted on the AACA website.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave. I had a look and it seems the vendor has everything BUT the one I'm looking for. I'm sure one will turn up soon though.

Thanks again

Rick

Try Al Suehring in Wisc. Phone number 715-677-3809. We sold him all we had years ago.

Where Are You From? egge.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? sell parts for them

The Durant Motors Automobile Club