Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need help on year of Star touring car

OK old Star car experts I need your help. Just bought a unknown year Star touring car here from our auto museum with a(new improper title saying 1926)
and id W5421239 which is the motor number and it has the W5 ID Star brass tag still on it.
Wheel base measures approx 101" +-.
Has rear brakes only the hand brake operates inside band and brake pedal outside band.
According to Terry's site it could be a model "F" or "M". Luckily I have F & M original Star firewall ID tags on hand and California ones too. If some of you with 20's Star Turing cars could measure your wheel base for me, like Frank I know yours looks like this car and others. Please help.
Thank you much.
Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Lots of them

Re: Need help on year of Star touring car

Hi Lance, Starting in 25, Stars had 4 wheel brakes,but some 24's w/2wheel brakes were sold as 25's. W5 motor (million dollar motor) started in 25.
I notice on the star registry, motor # W5 42169 in a
27 M touring. Both 24 & 25 Touring had 102 in. wheelbase. I don't have info on 26 - 27. Nothing definite but the engine # is only 30 off yours, could have been replaced? Holler if I can be of help.
Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Touring

Lance, another thought,the model F was introduced in 1924 & produced until 1926 when it was replaced with the model M for the 4 cyl & model R for the 6 cyl. The book I have shows the model F produced under 3 radiator emblems, plain star, shaded star, & star with the shield, 24, 25, 26. I don't have any info. if any new Standard Touring cars were produced with 2 wheel brakes after 24, my 25 has 4 wheel brakes but is a Sport Touring. for identification, the Sport Touring has outside door handles.Glenn

My 1926 coupster has only rear brakes and it's a model M

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

Thanks for all the phone calls and info here. Some more info as I'm unboxing items the doors do have outside handles and there is no sign of any gas gauge even on the gas tank. Course my 27 Star "R" car has none either. This car also has 21" wheels! Does the wheel size help with figuring out the year of this touring car? Any and all help welcome.
Thank you Lance Haynes

Hi Lance, found another catalog, wheelbase on 1926 was 102in until march of 26 goes to 103in on 4 cyl & 107in on 6 cyl. no gas gauge, sport touring should have 4.95/20 full baloon tires. But when have our cars followed the catalog? For interest go to http://www.durantcars.com/catalogs/star/26mf.shtml
Glenn

My 1927 Star 2 door coach only has brakes on the rear.

I've posted pictures of Lance's Star Touring car in the Photographs section under Current Projects or use the URL below.

Rick

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/Star/Lance%20Star%2026-27/index.html

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/Star/Lance%20Star%2026-27/index.html

Hi Lance
Looking at your pictures, your car looks like it is a 1927 model M. To my understanding all "F" & "M" models had two wheel brakes, except for the 1925 "F" which on the disc wheel sport model had four wheel brakes. These were of a different type to the band ones on the two wheel type. The 21" wheels are right for the 27 "M" and the extra "D" mould around the body
Hope this helps
Dave

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Rugby F; 1929 Durant 66; 1927 Rugby M

Hi Dave and others.
Boy this is so so confusing. I have a California title with the W5 motor number W5421239 as the car ID number!!!!!!!!
And that W5 is in the car. Head casting date is 8-10-26 and a extra head dated 9-16-26 !!!!!!!!
Now this car does not have the Star "Tubular Backbone" basically a heavy duty muffler if I remember right on other star cars.
So 21" wheels, 101" wheel base, double rear brakes only and a bead on top of all the fenders, so what do we have here anyway?
Terry's Durantcars site does not give the wheel size for either the 26 or 27 "M" model of car but gives the "F" model having 20"!!!!!!!!
Help help. If all you folks with Star touring cars could chime in with at least your tire size and wheel base that would help.
Come on Frank. You got one I rode in it in NJ.
Lance Haynes

Hi Lance

The 26 & 27 "M" models should have 21" wheels. The 24 & 25 "F" models I have seen mostly 23" Wheels. Only the "F" models have the tubular muffer. The early "M" models had only one bead mould at top of body where the later "M" had a second bead mould about 4" lower as on yours. some of the later "M" had plain guards & bullet shaped headlights, I think these were the late 27 models & from canada factory. I am postive that your caris not a Model "F"

Dave

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Rugby F; 1929 Durant 66; 1927 Rugby M

Hello Lance,
finally you are into Stars,ha.
Your car is almost identical to mine except for the brakes.
But as far as I know the bands were used earlier so it could be a late
Franz

Lance
My 1925 Star Model F touring was manufactured in San Fransisco. It has 102 in. wheel base with 21 in. tires. Rear brakes are railroad type with shoes on the inside and outside of the drum, the front are standard drum brakes. The finders have a single bead around the top side. I hope this helps.
Chuck Faulkner

Do You own a car built by Durant? !925 Star Model F touring

Hi All....

My Star is a 1926 Model M, made in Leaside. It has railroad type rear brakes, 4:50 X 21 tires, no outside door handles, and no beads on the body. The motor mounts are solid (no rubber mounting). The fenders are the beaded type and it has drum style headlights.

Lance....What does the dash on your car look like??

I thought only the California cars had front brakes. The bumpers on mine are Model A Ford.

There are a lot of different pictures of my touring in the photos from Auburn 2007.

Seems like Durant used up any left over items on the tourings....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star Cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Ok gang a bunch of different information here to consider for sure. Now Franz can't find your Star car on our club photo page!
What year and model is it anyway? Does it have the 21" tires like this car and what is the wheel base? I restored a 27 Star 4 door deluxe model "R" show car Franz I also drive for weddings. It's on the club photo page. Frank I'll take a picture of the loose dash and E-mail it to Rick. My engine also sits on bare steel. I actually still am not real sure what model and year this car is.
Lance Haynes

The easiest way for me to tell is by looking at the dash. I look forward to seeing the picture you sent Rick. My 25 Star Model F sounds identical to Chuck Faulkner's.

Your engine set-up is a little different than mine. My Carb (not stock) has the air intake pointing to the rear. Also, there is no tube coming from the bottom of the block toward the carb.

Other than that, I didn't notice any differences.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

I've added additional pictures of Lances Star to the Current Projects section or use the link below. You can also click the little computer icon to the left to get an active link.

Rick

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/Star/Lance%20Star%2026-27/index.html

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/Star/Lance%20Star%2026-27/index.html

Hi All....

Same dash as in my 1926 Model M

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star Cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Lance, you have the second version of the "M" series. (Later '26 to early '27).
Frank has the first version. (early '26).
I am building the third version, (late '27 to '28).

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Hi everyone.
Thank you so so much for all the input and help.
Looks like it is a late 26 "M" Star touring car from MI.I also have a old Michigan "M" Star ID tag that has a production number of 377,781. Wow Beverly Rae Kimes Standard catalog of American Cars state's total Star production as only 358,868 grant total. So what gives here with my tag? I had heard all Durant ID tags burned the first 1000 numbers.
Lance Haynes

Lance

According to the serial numbers on the tech page, numbers for the Lansing plant ranged from L-350000 - L-379999. That would seem to confirm the late 1926 theory.

Rick

Hi All...

A lot of serial numbers are way beyond the published range.

My 1927 Star M 4 dr sedan made in Leaside is well beyond the final Star production numbers....

Frank ---

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star Cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Hi guys, this is confusing, my 25 Touring has 4 wheel railroad type brakes, built in Oakland, wood spoke wheels, Sport Touring. Were 4 wheel brakes only in 25?
only from Oakland? only on the Sport Touring? Lance i'm glad you got yours figured out but maybe someone has an answer for me. The puzzle goes on. Glenn

The Durant Motors Automobile Club