Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re- Use of Head Gasket

I have just put a new head gasket on a re-built 4 cyl. engine.
The engine has never been cranked.
The man helping me says that if I remove the head I will have to replace the head gasket even if it is new.
I say the gasket can be re-used.

Whose right??

Yates

Re: Re- Use of Head Gasket

Yates,
Actually you both are; depending;

For the old LOW compression engines in our cars, using a Copper shim head gasket, they can be reused as long as they are in good shape. This was common practice in the old days, when engines had to be De-carboned.

However for NEWER High Compression engines (say above 8 to 1 CR) and/or using composition head gaskets as used on modern engines, they should be changed each time you open up an engine.

Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

I agree with Lance. I have re used head gaskets many times. In the old days, we could not afford to use a new gasket every time we opened up a motor. Just have to be very careful that the gasket does not get damaged.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Hi Lance and Gord,
Thanks for the information. Makes sense too me..

Yates

The Durant Motors Automobile Club