Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Throttle and Spark Advance levers

I was wondering if there is a way to increase the drag on the throttle and spark levers. When I start my D65 I have to bottom out the fuel lever in order for it to hold. This is quite unnerving when it starts as the RPM is very high. I only hand crank as I find it starts great and I don't really need a good battery. I find I don't use the car enough to justify the cost of a new battery.
I have removed the top of the steering wheel but can't see anything there that I could do. Please let me know what you think.
Lar.

Do You own a car built by Durant? D65

Re: Throttle and Spark Advance levers

Don't put your arm and joints at risk. Get a battery and a battery-maintainer that will keep it fully charged. I've done this on four cars and the batteries last for a long, long time. Works out to a few dollars per year.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Lar, I'm not sure about your car but the Star cars incorporated a spring and plunger arrangement captured in both control levers where the plungers rubbed against the face of the quadrant. If these plungers or springs are worn out or missing there will be no friction to control the levers movement.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Thanks for the info I will look for the springs and see if they are missing or worn. I knew there must be a fix for this. Also as far as cranking the engine. I have never had to to go past 90 degrees of crank rotation once I have brought the engine up to compression. Winters here can be murder on batteries as the weather goes to -40 and as hi as 100 Degrees F. For the amount of time spent running my car I really prefer to crank. However the advice is good. It's always best to be safe than sorry. If the engine was hard starting I would not hand crank as that would be too dangerous.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 d65

The Durant Motors Automobile Club