Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spark Advance

I have a question it has Been over 50 years sense I have driven a manual spark advance distributor car. I have a 1925 Star 4 door sedan A-22 4 cylinder, it will be on the road this week. Is there a formula for advancing the spark lever or is it just by the seat of your pants? MEL

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1925 Star

Re: Spark Advance

You begin by retarding the spark to start the engine. This prevents preignition and is much easier on the starter. Once the engine starts, advance the spark a little at a time. You can tell by the sound when you have it right. Takes a little getting used to, but you will soon get the hang of it.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

On my Durant, the spark advance is on the dash,when it is pushed in it is fully retarted, when i pull it out i am advancing the spark. Am I right or wrong.

Thanx, Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 612

My 25 Star 4-cylinder has the spark advance on the column. It is the top lever. Push up to retard and down to advance. Start the car fully retarded. Cruise fully advanced. (There's a stop on the distributor so don't force the lever.) When going uphill, retard a little. As always, listen to the engine.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Richard
Maybe I'm wrong but to my knowledge all Durant cars had the Spark and throttle control on the steering column. I know there is a choke control on the dashes. Maybe someone hooked it up wrong over the years. My 28 even has the words imprinted on the metal plate that covers the controls that says start and arrows.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

The 1930 614 & 407 models had pull - push buttons on the dash. They had got away from steering mounted levers by this time By now they had four (4) buttons on the dash - Headlights - Spark - Throttle -Choke.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

The Durant Motors Automobile Club