Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
body work

Good morning everyone.

since this is my first restoration I have many questions that may seem obvious but please bear with me.

there is some trim on the back of my coupe that is pulling up and some trim along the back of the cab is warping.(See photos below)
Photobucket

trim pulling up.

Photobucket

trim warping.

what would be the best way to repair this?

Also there is a gap between my hood and the radiator (as shown below)
how can I fix this with out messing anything up?

Photobucket

thanks for all your help.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 614 Coupe

Re: body work

Lance Haynes is a veteran of many Durant restorations....He can explain the necessary repairs.

Dave

some of the cracks are coming from hidem welting type trim pieces...the nails are inside that hold the trim on...thus the name "hide-em".you tack it on then fold over the outer trim...thus covering the joint or seem in body........i am not sure how to correct the problem...just think that new hidem trim piece is needed if old one is fatigued....regards, gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 COUPE AND 1930 6-14 SEDAN

On your problems; the hoods end up fitting like that from being opened and closed over the years.The side pieces are probably okay,it's the top hinge parts that are flared out.Part way open the hood,drive the hinge pin forward with a suitable drift(maybe an inch), screw your electric drill over the protruding pin and tighten. Then just "drill" the hinge pin out. Good idea to lube first,and have an assistant. Then do your rebending, adjusting. But of course the best way is to take it all apart and redo the entire hood. The hide em welt pieces will work out over the years with all the flexing the car does and the nails pulling out of bad wood. I replaced all this wood and use aluminum countertop moulding of the same width and crown. I then screwed this to the wood, heliarced over the screw tops, ground down and repainted, hoping to avoid this happening again. Its held up so far (28 years) Ross

If the 2 wood "rails" that go down the sides of the deck lid opening are bad I have a pattern out of pine that I can trace and send you. Also may have a pattern Of the pieces that go around the belt line where the top meets the quarter panels.

Dave

The Durant Motors Automobile Club