Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Needed for 23 Durant A-22

Anyone have a cylinder head for a early 4 cylinder Durant. Had mine repaired ,but still has some leaking problems and seems to be warped.
Tried Framk Witkowski and he does have one.
Also what torque is used for the cylinder head bolts??
No specs. are listed in either manual, but would like to know what you suggest. Does 75-80 lbs sound like it is in the right range.

Yates

Re: Needed for 23 Durant A-22

Hi Yates,

I also have an extra head, in fact I have 3 extra heads, two are on engines, the one that is off looks good, however somewhat rusty.

In regard to torque on the headbolts if you still have the original 8 soft bolts in your engine, they will not take 75-80 lb torque, I nearly ruin my block as the headbolts/threads streatched like one of those slinkies and pulled the threads in my block, I was able to tap the block to 9/16" and go with 9/16" studs from a cat diezel engine, the 4 short headbolts were OK so just replaced them with grade 8 bolts...I would suggest that you replace all 8 headbolts with grade 8 and then you should be able to torque to 75 lbs easly enough...

Let me know If I can help you with a head...Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Hi All...

Correction to Yates post.

I do NOT have a head , any help you can give him is appreciated.....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star Cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Hi Bill and Frank,

Thanks Bill, I will call you today. Will definetly follow your suggestions on changing bolts.
Sorry Frank, I left out the not. Hate I missed your call.

Yates

Hi Yates,
Does this motor actually have bolts and not studs?
Thanks
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star single seat dirt track racer (in progress)

Hi Don,
Mine had bolts which I think is correct. I will use Bill Hoaglans suggestion and go to a grade 8 bolt.

Yates

The Durant Motors Automobile Club