Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It Runs

I just got my engine running after converting it to 12 volts. I had to create a new wiring harness for the engine bay and added a voltage regulater. I'm amazed that it runs with all the new wiring it works :-)

I'm a happy camper.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Deluxe Sport Roadster Model 60

Re: It Runs

ACHIEVEMENT !!!!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star single seat dirt track racer (in progress)

Hi Rick,
Congratulations on the conversion to 12 volt and the progress you have made. Being our President, our Webmaster and restoring a car when do you find time to work?? Keep up the great work for the DMAC....

Yates

Rick,
Great going and Congratulations! Please make a written copy (with Diagrams or photos) so that myself and others can use your conversion guidelines on our 6 Volt cars too.
Thanks,
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Rick, Did you use the reg. put into the cut out housing? If so please share what you had to do. Also did you keep the generator or did you change to an alternator? Congratulations on a job well done.
Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Here is a quick answer, I guess I should write an article so I can go into more detail, but here goes.

I didn't use the cutout with the regulator on the inside because it didn't seem to work well enough. I did have a different cutout updated with a miniature 6 volt regulator on the inside and it always worked well, but 12 volts seemed to be a different animal.

12 volt conversion

I sent the generator to an old car guy (he likes 55 Pontiacs) that runs an auto electric shop here in town.
I used the stock Auto-lite generator.
The stock field coils were replaced with those from a 1956 Chrysler.
He then added two posts, one for field and one for the armature.
He did something else but that's all I remember for now.
I installed a new three pole voltage regulator made for a 50's era Chevy. I purchased it from AutoZone for $25.
I mounted the regulator under the dash and ran one wire from the armature and one from the field to the regulator.
The wire that would normally be attached to the cutout was connected to the Battery terminal on the regulator. My old cutout wire was in pretty bad shape so as long as I was cutting new wire I made another one and ran it from one side of the amp
gauge to the bat post on the regulator.
My wiring chart showed a wire running from the hot side of the foot starter to the other side of the Amp gauge, I didn't have one so I ran a wire from the positive side of the battery to the amp.
For the engine compartment I stuffed all new wires into a repo wire loom.

All of this sounds much more complicated than it really was and the engine started right up without smoking or shorting wires and any kind of fireworks,
so I guess I got it right.

Tonight after I got home from work I took the roadster for one lap around the block, considering I haven't started on the brakes yet one lap was more than enough excitement for me.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Deluxe Sport Roadster Model 60

The Durant Motors Automobile Club