Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Long term Storage

I have decided to put my car into storage for the next couple of years as I have a couple of other projects to finish. I normally drive it every summer for some exercise however this won't be practical for the next while. There are a lot of things written about storage. But i would like some input from people who have done it.I'm more concerned about the power train. any input from Durant owners would be appreciated.
Thanks Lar

Do You own a car built by Durant? D65

Re: Long term Storage

Well this is how I would do it. put sta-bil in the gas,put the car on jack stands under the frame so the suspention hangs run the engine and then spray fogging oil in the carb stall engine and remove plugs spray in cylinders and replace the plugs.maybe check or put new anti-freeze in. It will stop your cooling sytem from rusting inside.put a tennis ball in exhaust it will help keep mice from getting in you engine depends where you store it.a bag of carcoal helps with odors.disconnect battery and store that out of the car.put on a cover and should be ready to go.hope this helps

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 STAR

Lar,
I would agree with Mike and also add the following comments; It goes without saying that the Storage should be secure, inside and dry. If your storage is not heated make Very Sure that the Anti-freeze solution covers your coldest expected temps.

After you do all that Mike stated write yourself a note (or use a printed checklist) and put it inside with the car, noting all work done (with dates). Also put a set of keys in the ignition (and possible back-up set location noted on your checklist).

Finally before you put the car in storage wash and wax it, then put a car cover over the car (while it's in inside storage). This keeps the light, dust, bird droppings, etc, off of the car.

It should then come out of storage Okay!
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT MICE HATE THOSE CLOTHES DRYER SOFTENER CLOTHES AND A FEW IN THE CAR MIGHT HELP PROTECT THE UPHOLSTERY....GARY K

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 COUPE AND 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Lar:

Depending on your climate and area, do not forget about insect repelents. Moths love wood structure and cloth. Not only inside is vulnerable, also there are some areas with exposed wood from outside in the bottom area. Now and then solid products should be replaced and some spray will help mainly during the insects active season.

Good luck

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Touring

Thanks for the input. I never thought about some of the things mentioned Ive compiled a list and well take steps to insure that when I take it out of storage I will know what I did to put it there.
Thanks again.
Lar

Do You own a car built by Durant? D65

The Durant Motors Automobile Club