Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Adding a Water Temperature Guage

Somewhere I saw something about adding an electric temperature water guage to one of our member's Durant. They welded a nut onto the water return pipe. I've searched the Partner and this site to no avail. I'd like to add one but can't figure out where to get the sending unit and guage. (My local NAPA store couldn't help.) Can anyone help me?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Adding a Water Temperature Guage

This probably isn't so easy for 6 volts. Maybe Ford products from 1954-55 could have used such parts. Most everything from the age of Durant used bulb-type thermometers connected to the dash gage, or they used the motor meters directly installed in the radiator cap. I have an older style W5 and the bulb was threaded into one of the water jacket plates.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hi Vince,
I added a temp gauge to my W-5 by drilling a hole in the front side plate and putting a jam nut inside to hold the sender tight.Mine is old mechanical but you could use electric.Hope this helps.If it bottoms out add a short brass extension.
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star single seat dirt track racer (in progress)

The 30 Durants used an electrical sending unit. Niehoff DR134A.

dAVE

Added a mechanical gauge by using the top water pipe from a 15L engine, this pipe has a place for a factory thermostat that was then drilled and used to house a 1 ½” probe.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club