Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Timing chain

I am over hauling a W-5. The timing chain is very loose. Is there some place I can buy a new timing chain for a reasonable price? If I can't find a new chain, I am considering taking out a link from the existing chain. Is this permissible? The timing chain looks fine , it's just loose. Thanks for your help.
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star single seat dirt track racer (in progress)

Re: Timing chain

Hi Don,

The timing chain is loose due to wear and has stretched due to inadequate lubrication. You can remove a link as temporary repair or replace the chain. From time to time you may find a NOS chain on EBay or a fellow DMAC member may have a spare or you can replace it with a new modern one. Look on the bottom of the Tech page under modern improvements to learn how.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Deluxe Model 60 Sport Roadster

In response to your question about removing a link from the timing chain. The way I see it, once you remove one link from the chain, you no longer will keep the crank and cam "in time" with each other. With every 2 rotations of the engine crankshaft, I believe the chain will sucessively change the crank and cam relationship by one link.

After reading and considering my earlier reply in reference to removing a link from the chain, it shouldn't alter the timing, previous to dismantling, provided the crank/cam relationship is maintained as it was before disassembly. I will say this, if the chain is stretched/worn to the point of needing to remove a link, the cam timing will have a lag, proportional to the wear or stretch in the chain and gear components.

Hi Rick
The tech page timing chain modernizing looks down right complicated to me. I am still open for feedback.
I was hoping I could find an exact chain from an engine that is still being made. Perhaps that only will happen in my dreams, but I am still wishing.

Thanks
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star single seat dirt track racer (in progress)

Don,
I believe that replacing the chain and or sprockets would of course be your better choice....Having said that I have 2 model R Hupps, in their Operators/Repair manual it gives detailed instruction as to removing a link from the timing chain, it speaks of placing the offset or "Hunting" link over a sprocket and removing two pins and removing one link or "pitch". It says to do this procedure one time and replace the chain the next time it becomes loose, you do realize that the chain needs to be loose enough to remove a link and with the chain adjuster (Generator) backed-off completely, get the chain on and have sufficient slack or the chain will howel it too tight...Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Hi Mr.Blomquist,
I will be timing the motor from scratch.If I time it to compensate for the streach lag,do you think it would work? It still has the 1/2 link in the chain.
Thanks for your help.
Don

Hi Bill,
The chain has that" hunting "link so I will look into that.It probably has not been shortened yet. Thanks Don

Don:
First of all, the timing that I refer to earlier is the cam/crank timing. When the chain is stretched due to wear, the cam position relative to the crank position, will then be at a lag, hence the valves will be functioning slightly behind factory design. The only way to correct this within reason is to replace a worn chain and/or gears. Of course, you will still be able to adjust/correct the ignition timing, independant of the valve timing, by adjusting the position of the distributor relative to the crank.

A good engineering question that I have, and I ain't no engineer...If the timing chain becomes worn doesn't the pitch of the chain also change in relation to the pitch of the sprockets and thus the chain must run out or "climb" on the sprockets, actually running on a wider radius, in other words if a worn chain were stretched and wrapped around a sprocket I am thinking that the chain links would not be fully indexed, and if this is the case than the timing may not change as much as one might think...Totaly confused, Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Hi Don, I removed the hunting link on my 25 Star, that took the play out and it runs fine in my shop, I havn't got it on the road yet. Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star touring

I removed the link from my chain on my W5 and it stays in time it's been this way for 20 years now.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

Don I wouldn't have wanted to miss this conversation but I do have a timing chain I just recently removed from a scrap W5. It seemed to be quite tight. If you want it, I will send it to you. How are the lobes on the cam?

HiBob,
If this chain is a spare, spare I'd love to have it!Please e-mail me with how much you want for it and the postage.
The camshaft looks fine, I am going to have it reground with a hotter lobe duration. I am having a problem though with valve springs. My valve springs are rusty.If you have any spare, spare valve springs, I would be interested in them also. This web forum is AMAZING!

Thanks for your help.
Don

Don I'll put it in the mail monday. I have no use for it. Bob

Bill Hoaglan:
It is true, the wear in the sprockets will not make alot of difference to the valve timing lag. What does make a difference, is, the section of chain that is leaving the cam gear and approaching the crank gear, during correct engine rotation.

Yeah,
This all makes total sence!
A huge help,
Thanks,
Don

Hi Bob,
Thanks so much for the timing chain. It is tight and still has the hunting link. When the motor is re-assembled, my guess is that it will go on hunting link and all, like a nice tight new chain.

Thanks again!
Don

The Durant Motors Automobile Club