Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
valve springs

I need new valve springs for my W-5.They are pitted and soft.I am doing a valve job. The other parts look ok after cleaning.I am going to have the cam re-ground a little hotter.I would like a little more spring tension than 1927 factory,say 50 or 60 pounds or so.Any suggestions on how to get there?

i need new

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star single seat dirt track racer (in progress)

Re: valve springs

is there any chance that "egge machine co" would have them...they have many engine parts...for antiques....

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 COUPE AND 1930 6-14 SEDAN

I recently purchased a set for my W5 from Vintage Auto Parts.Give them a call at 877-882-7462 or check their web page at vapinc.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

I know Egge has the valves, I bought a set from them, so it's a good bet they'd stock the springs.

Egge
11707 Slauson Ave
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670-2217
562-945-3419
866-534-EGGE / info@egge.com

Another place to check is:

Then And Now Automotive
447 Washington St
Weymouth, MA 02188-2910
our1932@aol.com
(781) 335-8860
http://www.then-now.com

I know they stock valves for our cars so ask them about springs.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Deluxe Model 60 Sport Roadster

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input.I will give them a try.Unless I can figure out something else,I will find and buy W-5 valve springs and shim the exhaust springs for more pressure. If I understand correctly exhaust valves run cooler with a little more spring pressure. Thanks again for your help, I am still open for all input on spring pressures.
Sincerely,
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star single seat dirt track racer (in progress)

Don:
You may try another approach to locating springs. If you have information on the original specs like spring free length, spring coil diameter, spring wire diameter, installed length spring pressure, etc., you could contact most any reputable engine rebuilder and they could help you with modern replacement springs.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club