Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Palting Door Handles

The door handles on my Star need to be replated. A plater said that the handles must be completely disassembled before plating. They have a cover that wraps around the grip. It looks like the covers will have to be bent back before they will come free. Then they will have to be plated and rebent to the grip. I'm afraid that they will never be the same afterwards. Has anyone tried to do this? Is there any other way to replate these?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Palting Door Handles

Vince,

Last week I had the same issue. I don't know who could plate them as I suspect that they will only become damaged while trying to disassemble them. Today I have broken two handles by just using them, so for now anyway I purchased two reproduction handles made for model A Ford open cars. The overall style is the same except for the the pebble like finish in the center of the handle. The cost was only $35 each and they were a perfect fit. For my roadster I did have to shorten the input shaft about an inch.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Deluxe Model 60 Sport Roadster

Re: Palting Door Handles

when I had my handles done I didn't take the grip covers off just the sleeve and mount plate.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club