Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Continental 15L engine

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for a Continental 15L engine? I've got low oil pressure (-5psi) and I've pulled the oil pump off the l side of the engine. It seems fine and it appears to have some type of spring-loaded regulator. I've got other questions, but this is the 1st one.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Continental 15L engine

These items have plagued me in the past:

excessive rod, main and cam bearing clearences

excesssive oil bypassing in the oil filter (no filter element)

the gasket for the oil pump to the engine block was made without separate holes for the presure and the bypass return port.

unless the presure relief valve in the oil pump is stuck open or the spring is broken; it usually isn't the problem

hope this helps

Thank You

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model D 63

I have found oil can escape at the feed pipe flanges that bolt to main bearing caps. Flanges seem to become slightly banana shaped and allows oil to escape although there is a gasket with a copper ring. With oil pan removed air pressureise and watch for leaks.
Sid

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

To Dave: Do you have a picture of the gasket for the oil pump or something I can reference? when I pulled the pump off I did notice some of the ports out of the block were plugged but I don't know if they should be or not. I'll pull the pan soon and see where this leads me.

Paul, I don't have the old gasket but if you make a hole for each port without any common holes it will work. The old gasket had the center removed and bypassed all of the oil back to the pan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model D 63

The Durant Motors Automobile Club