Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spicer lubrication

At the last national meet, several people advised me to not use grease in my spicer joint. Apparently, these originally were lubed with oil. As the joint turned, oil was splashed around lubricating everything (and leaking all over the place). At rest, the oil that didn't leak out drained to the bottom half of the spicer where it was ready to be used again. With grease, I was advised that it would cling to the inside of the "can" and would not pool. Soon there would be no grease on the moving parts.

I disasembled my spicer (the one without the rubber balls) and noted that all parts were covered with grease. I wiped them clean, reassembled the spicer and poured in 600 weight oil. I also added two felt seals provided by Don Schilling in hopes that the oil might not all leak out. THANKS DON!

My question is: Are you guys sure that oil is a better solution?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Spicer lubrication

Welp, I'm for one not at all sure that running grease in your Spicer is a problem....I finished restoring my A-22 about 8 years back, I installed an aliminate fitting in both my Spicer Joint and my Fan Idler, the Fan Idler had a small amout of slack in the bearing which went away with the grease...I use a Molithium based (gooey)grease called "Power Punch", It sticks well and seams to flow in cold weather, I have been using this product for years in all my equipment and cars...Anyway, haven't had any problems as of yet and another plus is that the underside of my hood is still clean....Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

I just finished my engine rebuild as well as other parts, one of them the spicer joint (thanks to Frank W.), the rubber ball type.
I have been told that the spicer joint did not require lubrication at all (the rubber balls area) Please clarify me if required, as I am ready to go out to the road and would not like to destroy that difficult to obtain part.

Thanks

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Ricardo,
Sorry for any confusion, NO do not put grease in the Rubber Ball type that you have, we are talking about the other type Spicer Joint having steel Yokes and steel Crosses. Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Thank you very much Bill.

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club