Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Electric Fuel Pump Warning

My 25 Star came with an electric fuel pump. I rebuilt the vacuum pump but kept the electric one in-line as a back-up. This was a big mistake.

The EPA recently forced California to add ethanol to gasoline. This attacked the diaphram in the electric pump turning it into a mess of gooey particles.

I just spent the day cleaning the sticky, gooey remains of the diaphram from the entire fuel system. Fortunately, I had two filters that caught most of it but pieces got within inches of the carb. What a mess.

Anyway, if you've got an older electric pump, its probably time to replace it with a newer one.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Warning

That's a good point Vince... I have also had problems with the cheaper Imported fuel pressure regulators, the soft parts can swell up and in a matter of minutes stop flowing, I took one apart and the rubber "O" rings were swollen to about twice their normal size, haven't had any problems with the Holly I installed... Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Warning

Hi All....

This can also be a problem with the old mechanical fuel pumps on later Durants. Some of the old rubber tiped needle valves on carbs can also be damaged by the "new" fuel.

Have even seen the older rubber fuel lines disolved by this stuff.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

The Durant Motors Automobile Club