Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Cowl Vent Springs

Hi Folks,
I'm replacing the cowl vent flanges on our '27 Star coupes. One item I'm needing to finish is the left side cowl vent door spring.
See the pic below.

Cowl Vent Spring

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Re: Need Cowl Vent Springs

We got a little bit accomplished today. The cowl vent flanges were rotted away so we had to fabricate new metal parts, repair some of the cowl metal surrounding the vent, and spot weld it all together.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

LOOKS LIKE ONE AWESOMELY BEAUTIFUL JOB TO ME...WELL DONE,....REGARDS, GARY K

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 COUPE AND 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Thanks Gary,
It did work out nicely but was somewhat tedious hammering the metal to shape and arching to fit the contour of the cowl.

On another note, the vent door springs that I need are also used on the models M2, M4, 40, 55, and 60. All Star closed cars from Model M onwards used the same cowl vents.

hi don
i know i have a spring i will have to find it and will send it to you in about two weeks if someone responds sooner let me know
brian boys

Thanks Brian,
Mike Larsen is checking his parts cars and I'll know in about a week. If he doesn't have one I'll let you know.

hi don checked my spring today both broken my good ones must be in ontario,i won,t be there untill august.if you get some springs be carfull they dont flex like you would suspect,mine were very fragile.
brian

If there is any rust pitting on the springs they probably won't last long. The metal needs to be clear and sound. I may try to reproduce some springs using .165 music wire and bake in the oven to relieve bending stresses.

your prbably right don if you can make somemake some extras i,ll buy a couple from you.
brian

OK, Tuesday I'll see if I can locate some wire and build a forming jig. We'll see what happens.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club