Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Body manufacturer

The R. E. Olds Transportation Museum needs to know who made the bodies for Lansing made Durants and Stars. We have original documentation that early Star touring bodies were made by Lansing's Auto Body Company, but don't know beyond that. Thanks.

Where Are You From? www.reoldsmuseum.org

Do You own a car built by Durant? Museum has a Durant and a Star on display

Re: Body manufacturer

Dave,
Sourcing from my 1926-27 Star Dealer Handbook, it is noted that Hayes-Hunt bodies were used for these years.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

A good reference to this is in www.coachbuilt.com. Both Auto Body Co. and Hayes Body Co. have reference to their association with Durant.
Gary

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Outstanding website!!! I stayed up till about 2:00am last night going thru the various listings.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

The coachbuilt site does have at least one error. It lists Devaux bodies as being made by Murray and not Hayes.

Let me revise my last message. The coachbuilt site lists Devaux bodies being made by both Hayes and Murray instead of just Hayes.

Dennis:
I might be wrong but I think Murray did not actually build any DeVaux bodies BUT they could have had the DeVaux on their engineering records. Kind of like "insurance" or a back-up. With the engineering data already on file, they could be ready if Hayes could not produce.
In the 80's at Boeing when we started "offloading", the master tools were kept intact on site.
Gary

The Durant Motors Automobile Club