Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad Radiators

I just got word from my local radiator shop today and they said that both our Star M radiators have junk cores.
What options do I have to obtain new honeycomb cores?

Thanks for any assistance,
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Re: Bad Radiators

Don:
Honeycomb cores are downright expensive. If you are not going for complete originality and points judging, you can do what a friend of mine did. He cut 1/2 inch slice off the front of his old radiator and had the rad shop attach it to the front of a brand new modern core. You can tell when you look from the engine side, but not from the front. There is lots of room for the added thickness. I have heard of folk that put a slice on the front and the rear, and it even fooling the judges.
I don't have prices or sources for the original type honeycomb rads, but I believe you can get them out of the UK

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

I found a place on the internet called "The Filling Station", fillingstation.com, up in Oregon. they reproduce honeycomb radiators for Model T, A's and early Chevys. They can also do other makes if they have a pattern. They get their cores from Australia and their cost starts at $975.00.
I would like to find the source in Australia and maybe save from paying the middleman.

Don.
Please take a look on our club site here in the Star photos and see the front shots of my 27 Star "R" car. That has a 1/2" of the original honeycomb core cut and actually soldered onto a nice new modern straight tube core. Total cost here about $400.00 and works beautiful. I would go that route as the old style honeycomb cores are really expensive. I was quoted over $1,500.00 for original core.
Faithfully Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Don
There is two places that advertise in the AACA magazine that manufactures our type of radiators and repairs them also. One is the Brassworks whose web site is www.thebrassworks.net and their phone number is 800-342-6759 and the other is Maine Auto Radiator Mfg. whose web site is www.antiquradiatormfg.com and their phone number is 800-341-0230.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Hi Don just read about your problem with the honey conb cores, I am in the UK so if you have a contact here Gordon or if anyone wants me to check out the chance of getting them here just let me know and I will see what I can find out for you.
Barry

Thanks Barry!
Any help locating reasonable priced honeycomb cores would be greatly appreciated.
In the next few days, I'll dissemble one of my sure enough junk radiators and get the core dimensions and see how it is put together.
I may consider using a tube and fin type core like the ones used in the Model A Fords. It won't be original but it'll work nicely and be a lot less expensive to boot.

Don

Mine went out over a year ago. I was unable to contact Brassworks and I even sent it off to Maine. They returned it saying they weren't doing radiators anymore. So I had mine redone in the UK and it cost a fortune - over $2000!

Then I saw the add for the Filling Station. They will sell you the core and you can have a local shop fix it. I'd go that route.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club