Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Radiator Shell Preparation

Hi guys, I'm getting my rad. shell ready for plating and I have some pretty bad pits in spots. Shall I try to sand thru them or has anyone tried to melt brass in them, and then smooth it off ? Any ideas ?
Thanks, Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Re: Radiator Shell Preparation

Glenn, When I have my plating done they did all repairs on the pieces all I had to do was drop them off.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star

Hi Mike, When you had yours done did you have much deep pitting? I am trying to prepare mine some first because in past experience in Tucson the prep. was not so good. perhaps I need to send it off somewhere.
Glenn

I've been having work done by AIH Chrome in Dubuque Iowa. Yes they're expensive...but you get a lifetime, transferable warranty and they do FLAWLESS work. Phone 563-582-8235.

Dave

hi glenn
i have a 26 star 6cyl radshell freshly nickel plated,and a 26 4cyl radshell painted no pitting,i assume your car is a 4 cyl.i want 50$ for the 4 cyl shell plus shipping.
radshells are not that hard to find.someone in the club will have a good one.
brian boys

Thanks for the replys,what is the difference between a 4 and a 6 cyl shell? I would prefer a plated one rather than painted. I had also considered chrome to nickle, any thoughts? Glenn

I had mine done at the chrome shop in Appleton,Wi.and yes it was bad but they did excellent job.

hi glenn
4cyl shell will fit on a 6cyl rad but you have to force it on .
25 26 stars were nickle plated hard to tell the difference from chrome.
brian

Brian & Mike,
I have to get 2 Large Grille shells re-chromed for my cars. Can you give me an Estimate on your costs to do yours? The metal is not real bad, so probably just needs some straightening and re-chroming. Also cost of re-chroming 2 Headlight buckets?
Thanks Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr, 26 Locomobiles, Sedan and Rdstr

Glenn, I payed 250.00 for my shell to be done in 1988.

If sombody has some procedure of restoring a high correded surface previusly to chrome or nockel plated , will be great , because i have the same problem

Thanks

Walter

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

It's similar to body panel repair except plating with a soft metal is used instead of a sanding primer. First, you repair any serious damage by pounding out, filing or patching the base metal. Any patch must be with a similar base metal - no bondo - because it has to conduct electricity. Then you plate on a layer of brass or copper. This is sanded and plated repeatedly until the part is perfectly smooth. Lastly, the nickel is plated and polished.

Good work requires skill and patience. It's al,ost an art form.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Cost of replating parts is out of hand now for a lot of us and being a hazard to the environment, per our Ont govm't, we have none in Ottawa now. Closest plating is Valleyfield Que and were talking over $1000 plus. So I had the shell cleaned and painted Extreme Chrome / Clear, Polyester / Acrylic, High Gloss. Better than painting it silver with a brush as most do now for drivers. Can't quite see your face like chrome but has the same colour. Just another alternative.

32 rad

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Hi All.....

Has anyone tried the new powder coat process that looks like chrome?

Eastwood shows it in their latest catalog, may be an alternative to the high cost of chrome..

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Frank, are you talking about Cermakrome ? That stuff is used where I got the shell painted. It shows every pit or mark plus the metal must be clean and no filler. We looked into that and said no thanks if it shows the rust pits etc. I think www.ridindustries.com has it described on their site.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

the high price of chroming?
in 2001 i paid 1150$ to have a star 6 rad shell repaired and chromed.
later that year i painted a rad shell the same colour as the car i restored amasingly it looked great, it got more comments than a chrome one would have.its not the way to go if you are a real beleiver in originalitey,but if you want to get your car out of the shop and into traffic. give it a try chrome later drive now.brian

Thanks for all the feedback,
I have located a plater here in Tucson. He has been in the business since '59, his work looks good. I will post the results in about 3 weeks when the shell is returned. He states that he receives work from all over the country. Glenn

Hi guys, I just picked up my rad. shell from the platers and they did a great job. Cost 200.00 . I can now reccomend them, they do good work. The owner says he gets work from New York, Wisconsin, Ohio,Etc. The name is Royal Plating - 636 W. Lester - Tucson AZ - 85705 - ph 520-622-7826 - fax 520-622-7835
if you need someone. Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Touring

Glenn,

That sounds like a great recommendation.
Did you have your shell nickel or chrome plate?
$200 these days sounds like a bargain if you're pleased with the results.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Deluxe Model 60 Sport Roadster

Hi Glenn,

That does sound good...Since the only chrome shop in Yuma,AZ (Yuma Chrome Plating) changed hands a couple years back I have not been all that happy with their results...It sounds like a good option, I may get some parts over to your shop this winter, thanks for the tip...Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Hi Rick, I had mine done in nickle, it looks good. After checking it out I left H/L refltors & bezels &parking lite bezels & some other things. I'm looking forward to see the results. I'll report back in about 3 weeks. Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star touring

I had mine done in nickel in Santa Rosa, CA and it was less than $200 as well. The work wasn't show quality (missed a pit or two in difficult to reach places) but it was very good. Since then I've found a plater closer to home in San Rafael, CA who is excellent and reasonable. He just did a bezel for me for free. It appears that prices vary greatly for this kind of work.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club