Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Here we go!

I have finally removed the body of my coupe! I was worried that it would come off in pieces but with the help of some strategically placed ratchet straps and 2x4's it made it in one chunk. Now I am ready to begin the dismantle of the chassis. Does anyone have any tips or tricks make will make my life easier as I begin this process? Thanks, Brian.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model R Coupe

Re: Here we go!

Hi Brian.....

One of the main things to remember as you begin dissasembly is to photograph, bag, tag and diagram everything. It always seems like you will remember how everything goes back together, but memories tend to fade quickly.

Over the years I have purchased many unfinished projects that are a real jig saw puzzel to try and put back together.

With digital cameras you can take hundreds of pictures for reference. Plus if you have a question it is easy to post or forward pictures to other members. They are also very helpful when looking for that elusive part at swap meets.

Good luck with your car !!! Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star Cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Thanks Frank, I have taken about 40+ pictures of the chassis as an assembly and as I take each component off, I take more detailed pictures. I am also wondering about getting the frame sand blasted. What components can be left in the frame? I was thinking I would remove the engine, and leave the rest in and get it all done at once. Any thoughts? Thanks, Brian.

I'm finishing up a 1950 Mercury that I had sandblasted with the engine on. They screwed up the paint on the engine so that it peeled and the block rusted after everything was back together. I then blasted the block myself. Here's my take on it.

The sand will get into just about anything that isn't sealed with a gasket, duct tape or putty. Even then it may penetrate into the gasket. The first time, the transmission got filled with sand when they forgot to plug the speedometer hole. The second time, there was a little sand that got into the clutch housing.

I used expandable rubber plugs on most holes and they worked nice. The best bet was a rag in the hole, a plug and then duct tape. See also the answers to my post May 13, 07.

I would remove the engine and transmission at a minimum. But it would be better to take as much apart as was practical - suspension, etc.. That will save clean-up time, make for a better paint job and make it easy to avoid painting rubber, etc. that was never painted.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Thanks Vince. I was wondering about all the little places you would never suspect sand could get into. I think I will just get the bare frame done and do the rest clean the other parts with other methods. Thanks, Brian.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club