Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil capacity and Oil indicator

Dad recently acquired a 1928 Durant M2. The car is a 4 cylinder. My question is the capacity and grade of oil for the engine. Also, is the floating oil indicator marked for full, or add a quart? Probably stupid questions, but this is the first Durant I've seen. Thanks

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Oil capacity and Oil indicator

I have a Durant Star with the Continental 4 cylinder engine. I just use regular 20W-40W oil. Some people will tell you to use non-detergent oil. This is NOT necessary.

There should be two marks on the block behind the floating ball. The top is full and the bottom is add.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The manual says 4 quarts. Occasionaly you will find
that the oil indicator will only rise to slightly above the low mark due to wear. The safest way when changing the oil is to measure in 4 Quarts.By the Way I have a 1929 Rugby D40.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby Wire Sided Van.

Humm John, is that Imperial or smaller US quart Everything is liters here now to further add to the fun.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Gentleman, I need answers on my oil and fuel floats, mine are both made of cork, but the oil floats I have made all sink after awhile. The fuel floats but the coating is cracking. What is a good fix?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2 Four Door Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club