Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Identification

I purchased a couple of Durants and a bunch of parts at an auction last summer. One of them according to the title is a 1929 Serial 5200, rumble seat coupe. The car was at one time titled a foreign country, I assume, Canada. I've been trying to determine just what model I have but I find conflicting information, because the car looks like a 614 deluxe, but they suposedly were not made in 1929. I notice on some information that I have that T5200 was the very last serial number for the 1929 model 66. Does anyone have any information to share that would help me out? Thanks!!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Identification

HELLO, DID YOU COMPARE THE PICS OF YOUR CAR TO THE DURANT CATALOGUE WEBSITE???....IT IS FAIRLY CLOSE .
ALSO CHECK THE ENGINE CODE NO. AND THE WHEELBASE FOR MORE HINTS....THE RADIATOR EMBLEM FOR 29 AND 30 ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ALSO....HOW ABOUT A PICTURE FOR US TO SEE

Re: Re: Identification

Yes. It looks like a 614. Engine casting date is 11/13/29, Head casting date is 2/19/30, Wheel base is 112" which was the same on the 66 and 614. I can't figure out how to post a photo. Members only?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Coupe, 1930 Sedan

Tom,

To post pictures on the DMAC forum make sure the image you are linking to is stored on a webserver that allows you to remotely link to it. A good FREE site to store pictures can be found at http://photobucket.com.

With Photobucket
1. Upload your image
2. On the right side of your screen you will see a box with four different ways to place your image into a website or email. For this website copy the text located in the third option from the top named "HTML Code - Websites & Blogs".
3. Paste the text into your Forum posting and click "Preview Message".
4. When you see your image click "Post Message"

Rick

Other image hosting sites will work much the same way.

Was this from the Terry Rudie estate?

Dave

West

Lots of hassle just to post a photo, but here you go.
I'll post a couple more in another entry. I'm sure now that this is a 614, but the title and serial still have me a little confused. This is a really nice car. The odometer reads 24863 and works well. based on the condition and how tight everything is, this could be actual miles. I do have another question. I can't find an ID Plate or any indication where one might have been on the firewall. Could it be in another location?

Yes,
I'm from Norwalk, WI. (20 miles from Terry's place)

South

Here is another photo for you.
By the way, I need an interior trim ring for the drivers side door window, if anyone would happen to have one available.
Tom

Hi All....

Nice car.

The ID plate was tacked to the wooden toe board on the passanger side under the floor mat. The T in the serial number indicates the car was made in Leaside, Ontario Canada.

I do have the reproduction data plates for all the Durant & Star factories, $20 each, includes US shipping.

See Y'all in Oregon.....Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Looks like we have another 1930 614 from Leaside. Serial number seems off based on the listing stopping at T4269 and this is T5200.

Looks like standard coup and needs the wood spoke wheels. Wonder if the well was widened to include modern wheels or was cut into the fender to make a side mount. Deluxe has fender lights as well, our standard doesn't. Head lights are ??? Car has been modified a bit.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

I have the original spoke wheels and the hole for the fender light is there. The fenders have not been modified as far as I can tell. This car also has dual side mounts and they both look original. I also have the original head light tubs. After finding the ID Tag, with your help, I discovered it is a 614 and the actual number is 1492, but I can't make out any letter before it.

Tom:
Does the car have four of the wheels like the one on the left front? I also wonder what size tire they take. The reason I ask, is that Keith Reid's 1933 coupe has similar wheels and I believe that they take 16" tires. Take a look under Photographs - 1933 Durant Keith Reid. Does that hubcap have a Durant crest?
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Hub

Yes all four wheels. I'm not sure what they are from, it is not a Durant emblem, but I've attached a photo. They are 15" tires.

The rad shell and emblem are the same as my 1930 4-07 out of Leaside.

RonJ

Hey just caught that comment in your 1st mail. "Foreign country" We ain't foreign everyone else is We are North American's also, sheesh.

If it was out of country then perhaps the unreadable part was a T. That VIN number would put it 1st part of 1930. Is the plate completely unreadable, if not it should also show Leaside as place assembled.

Your right Gord .. wheels do look 1933 style Dominion or Continental Motors. Crest could be a jobber cap to fit the wheels. Like the Ford A "Bool" named ones I saw in the 60's done in Ford script. Could be someone just got wheels that matched the bolt pattern and used those. Tom has the orig ones and lights as well. Sure wouldn't take much to put it back again ,based on what we see.

Those wheels were an aftermarket set up that was popular in the mid 30's I just can't remember the tradename - "Air--- something" or other I believe. Most I thought though were 16" wheels . Should make the car ride nice. They look good.
Gord

Tom Terry purchased this car from Jim Colbert, a club member from Moscow Idaho. Jim bought the car from someone in the LA area of California. It was pink(or a very faded red) the last time I saw it at Jim's. It had Auburn! headlights on it and someone had fitted it with those "Jumbo" wheels. Jim might have a little more history on the car, but he doesn't get on the computer, so just call him.(208-882-7643) Ross

Thank you! Thats great information.

those wheels are called "artillary wheels" because they were used on guns and their trailers in WWI
they are available new in hot rod sizes like 15 " r so for a high price...see car mags

And you would remember those wheels, Gary, from the Boer War and WW1, right ? Someone said you were older than dirt.

Dearest Norm.....
Dirt was the youngest kid on my block....i arrived here when Philadelphia was a prairie....
All wheel makers ads will show artillery wheels in them today....try wheels of steel co. and others...in any hot rod mag...

p.s. my house was equipped with a spring in the basement so we had water if the indians attacked

You guys are still kids. I was head waiter at the last supper. Darned poor tippers too.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-Model 614- deluxe rumble seat coupe

Oh I don't know, 13 pieces of silver, I heard you got for a tip, Ken.

Lord and I thought Gary's area was still under water before the dino age.

All the wood spoked wheels were called "Artillery Wheels" There was a special name for these, they were commonly put on 1935 Ford's and had a special trade name - Air something or other and had 15 or 16" tires. You could also buy hubcaps to fit.
It will come to me someday. Sometimes it takes a little longer.
Gord

The Durant Motors Automobile Club