Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tillotson carb.

Is there anyone that may know what the different is between the Tillotson L1A carb. and the Tillotson L1B carb. I still haven't been able to get my orginal Carb. repaired. what I need is the proper type float and needel valve and seat I tryed the Carburetor Shop in Missouri to no avail. they have a used Tillotson L1B carb.
Thanks for any help. Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A22 Sedan

Re: Tillotson carb.

Hi Ken,

I don't know If I can be of much help But when I first got my A-22 running the Tillotson was leaking like a seive...I called a couple of carburator shops to see If a kit was available with no luck, One of the shops told me that our particular Tillitson carburator was of a poor design, that Tillitson had put too much carburator into too small of space (I assume he was refering to the float chamber) Anyway, the needle and seat in my old carb was worn and I found that I was able to re-machine the old needle and seat, then lap them togather and seemed to work fine....I have sence went to a modern Zenith carb...I may have something in the way of an original carb when I get back to Washington this Spring. Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Have you tried this place ? Perhaps they can help.

www.thecarburetorshop.com/PkitD.htm

Page down and he lists all US Durant/ DeVaux / Continental carb's. Just doesn't mention Canadian Durant or Fronty carbs except W-8A. Mine Tillotson J4A and Tims former 33 J6A. Note 6-18 isn't even listed either.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

I had a phone conversation this morning with the co. The Carburetor Shop owner. He does not have anything in regards to the L1A Carb. He has a used L1B carb. but does not know if it would work in place of the L1A.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A22

Hi There On our Durant D 60 we run a Stromberg carby We find we get better fuel consuption and when she hasnt got a blown head gasket the old girl purrs along Our Durant came with a Koala carby that we do still have But the Stromberg just seems to go better

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Mr Hardgrave of the carburator shop told me it was dangerous to use the old pot metal Titotison carbs because you never know when the pot metal is gointg to break and spray gasoline on the hot manifold. Better to use one of the new Zenith models.

Bob

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Thanks Bob,
If my person that has worked on my carb, can't come up with a used carb. I will not put my pot metal carb. on. Do you know what model Zenith carb. will work on my A22 4cyl.
Thanks for letting me know about not using my pot metal carb. that would have been the last thing that I wold have done to get my car back on the road. Now I will have to wait until some thing comes avail able.
I also want to thank avery body else that reponded in regard to my need.
Ken Brink

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A22 Sedan

Re: Re: Tillotson carb.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ken,
This is the Zenith installation on my '23 A-22... I went with the larger series Zenith #14991B...Installing this carburator I had to make a dogleg adapter so the carb would rotate 90% and also clear the Distributor, I also needed to extend one leg on the throttle bellcrank linkage(on the Block) to get the needed stroke for the linkage...I run a rotary 6v electric pump and found that with the larger float and needle assembly I don't seem to need to use a fuel pressure regulator, however using one may be good assurance...Another advantage of the modern Zenith is that you can easily install an air filter where as with the original Tillotson you cannot, I ordered a little K & N air filter from NAPA...Another good option would be using the Zenith carb that is designed for Model A replacement, I have one of those on one of my 35 Hp model R Hupmobiles and works great, Both the A-22 and the Model A have approximatly 200 CID, I don't have the Carb number at hand, possably Frank W. could help, this may make for a little easier installation...Anyway, my thoughts on the subject...In case you are wondering the Distributor is an early Remy (before Delco/Remy)

Bill

Not sure how my post above came in out of order, perhaps from pulling it up from the search engine...Bill

I want to thank every body that responed to my yell for help on my Carb.needs. The person that has worked on our Durant had a customer that had an up draft Stromberg carb model O-1, it was installed this last week and works fine so it looks like I am back up and running. This Stromberg is also made of Brass like our org.Tillotson. Thanks again for all your help.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A22

The Durant Motors Automobile Club