Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
30 Durant, Chrome Headlight bar???

All,
The mystery on my car deepends. My 1930 Durant 407 or 610 Deluxe Sedan (?) has a Chrome Headlight bar. The headlights are Chrome as is the Grille-shell But is this correct (Chrome headlight bar?) or did someone chrome it in the past? Also the interior appears to be just plain light colored cloth (not striped), is that correct? Finally the exterior appears to be originally a tannish-taffy color. Does anyone know what this color is called. Thanks Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 Durant 407/410 Deluxe Sedan

Re: 30 Durant, Chrome Headlight bar???

Lance,

On my 29 Deluxe model 60, the headlight bar is chromed and the standard models were painted, same for the headlight buckets. I can't say for any car built in 1930.

Rick

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/wolfman4sale/index.html

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Sport Roadster

Lance:
As far as I know, the Deluxe cars were heavily chromed.
Headlight bar, Headlights, Fender lights, Cowl band, Rad Shell, V strips on Rad, hubcaps, door handles, tail lights and tail light stanchions (2 on the deluxe) bumpers and bumperettes. Also I have seen cars with metal covers on the sidemounts that were chromed. I think this is all. I did not get into the interior.
Note: All the Brochure says is DE LUXE EQUIPMENT: Sedan and Coupe models are available with De Luxe equipment at additional cost. I would hazard a guess that each plant would alter the deluxe equipment to suit their particular clientele. The brochure also states under Standard Equipment - Chromium plating on bright finished exterior hardware. Equipment on Standard models does not include bumpers and bumperettes.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Lance,
My Deluxe 407 has a painted headlight bar with chrome headlights.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 407 DeLuxe Sedan

That's right Gord, 407 Standard bumpers were an option, you can refer to Terry's site for that info.

1930 614 Leaside brochure has exact same wording as you state, for exterior hardware.

Dorothy has painted light bar but chromed stick shift. Unfortunately the only bumper indicated in the 35 Leaside owners thing is the single bar with dipped center which must be the 33 only. At that no rear one was mentioned. Odd if they had parts back to day one in the 20's yet no bumpers / bumperettes for prior to 33, single or split bar.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

My 1930 614 Sedan has chrome lights and bar, chrome bumpers (front and rear), chrome radiator shell, chrome tail light stanchion. As far as I know it was a standard sedan. Maybe not?

Where Are You From? www.ultralab13.net

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. It\\'s a 1930 614 Standard Sedan

Mike, the 35 parts thing doesn't mentioned light bar or rear tail light stanchion. Guess you got one on the car and too bad if it got broken or lost in an accident. Leaside, seems the gear shift lever could be black for 407, 611 and 614 or nickel plated 407, 611, 614, 618. Perhaps it depended on if standard or moving upwards towards deluxe. I know my old 30 614 "Special Sedan" stick shift was painted as was the light bar, and head light pots (brocheur shows chromed lights). But the Special came with the fender lights (Standard didn't) and head light adornments, V on the rad, foot rest, robe rail and who knows what other goodies. Might be one of the differences Canadian to US 614's. "Furnishings and appointments reflect Durant quality and value". It didn't have the ash tray in the back of the front seat ,but you could feel the opening for one under the mohair. (I was sure it had one but upon checking last year it didn't. So much for 40 + yrs ago memory) Brocheur also shows all 614's with painted light bar but chromed headlights above standard.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club