Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lug nut thread direction vs rotation

On my 1928 75 sedan, two of the wheels have left-hand lug nuts and two have right-hand nuts. Over the years one set of hubs/drums had been reversed from the original location. I know that engineers of that era had the mindset, lugs of a certian "hand" would loosen dependant upon which side their location was on the vehicle. My question is; What is the correct location for left and right-hand hubs/drums?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D75 Durant (titled 1929)

Re: Lug nut thread direction vs rotation

It would be interesting to hear other opinions, but on my '49 Dodge, they are left hand bolts (backwards) on the right side wheels and right hand bolts (normal) on the left side.
Considering the direction of rotation that would be logical, unless someone spends most of their time driving in reverse,,,,,,,,,

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

If you go back to horse-and-buggy days, the nut on the right-side axles was right-hand treaded so it would tend to tighten as the wheel rolled forward.

If it is the opposite on car wheels, they must have felt that braking forces would affect the tightness. I guess we know that it didn't matter much. The back wheels experienced both drive-torque and braking- torque in opposite directions.

Maybe they thought if the car was parked in reverse, that you could put more tightening torque on the screw without rolling the car ahead.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

And my Mother always told me it was the nut behind the wheel that was the problem.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Gord "your" mother was right

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club