Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A22 DISTRIBUTOR

I think That I finally have enough pieces to put a distributor together for my A22, however I do have a qyestion to put out there. When you look in the parts book there is no condensor as it is listed as part of the coil in the manual. I have an original auto-lite coil and a n.o.r.s. coil. Both of these coils have what looks like a low tension leed coming ou of the bottom corner, WHERE DOES THIS WIRE GO TO?
When I look at factory photo's it appears to go to a spot on the housing to ground the distributor?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A22

Re: A22 DISTRIBUTOR

Hi Will......

Look at the wiring diagram on the tech page. Shows 3 connections on the coil, high tension lead to dist cap, ground lead through points, and power lead to ignition switch.

The 1922-24 diagram shows the condensor as built into the coil, and the 1925 and up show the condensor as being inside the dist housing.

Some where in it's life my A-22 has a later model (1927 - 1929) Durant / Star dist installed

Hope this helps.....Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Frank
If you look at a factory photo say in the owbers manual, it show the wire from the points to the coil, wire from coil to harness plus this extra wire which seems to attach to the bottom of the dist housing? This wire is not listed in any wiring diagram that I have seen.

Will, If I can figure out how to print out and send to you copies of my Dist. showing the wire going from the bottom of the Dist. to the coil I will by E-Mail if not by post. On my Dist there is an arm that sticks out on the bottom which the wire is conected to and goes to the coil. With the coil conectors faceing the dist. ours is conected to the contact on the coil that is on the side near the Engine.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Will,

I went back to the original type coil on my '23 A-22 and as you mentioned there is a tag wire coming from the bottom front of the coil, this wire is not shown in the wiring diagram but is indicated as a ground insignia only...I attached this wire to the generator housing with a seperate screw and also attached a short ground wire from the distributor housing ground lug to that same screw on the generator housing, It may be that the tag wire is internaly grounded and could be hooked up directly to the dist housing....Anyway, the 6 volt power source will attach to the external ballast resistor and the dist points will attach to another terminal, and the coil primary is at the top center....It is confusing as there are 3 thumb screws a tag wire and a primary lug on the coil to deal with, I have sent a pic of how my coil is wired....Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Frank I am in the same boat as you. My car had somewhere in the past aquired a '29 D40 dist. and modern coil. So I had nothing to go on. The repro aluminum housing that I have has two threaded holes on the bottom of it. one below the contact arm (engine side of dist.) and the other under wher the auto-lite tag would be, if I had one.
Ken & Bill thank you and I await your pictures.
From the pictures that I have seen it appears that the small wire coming from the coil just attaches to the dist. under the auto-lite tag?
later will

The Durant Motors Automobile Club