Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting Started,,,, Again!

Got most of my winter chores done, cleaned up the shop somewhat, and now getting back on serious playing.

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Re: Getting Started,,,, Again!

Hey Don.... I've seen some strange pictures during the last couple of years, but... My first thought when I saw this one was that "You've been framed"!

I wished my woodworking skills looked that excellent! You do great work Don!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

Hi Don,

Looks good, Is this your final run in Ash or your pine prototype? looks like much of it is pretty thick, do you have any problem in finding hardwood any thicker than 8 quarter? On my project I had to laminate to get some of the pieces to the thickness that I needed... Will you be going up to Chickasha, OK to the pre-war swap meet this year?

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Jim: since I'm building a pair of '27 M coupes at the same time, I reckon I'll be "Double Framed"!

Mike: all it takes is time and patience, and I learn some new technique every time I do something.

Bill: This is the final assembly using Ash wood. I have a local saw mill cut 8 quarter or what ever size I need and they kiln dry to 7% moisture. Then they will saw on one side and I plane to whatever size I need. I had them plane the body side sills to 1 5/8" so I knew I was getting perfect, straight blanks to work with.
Yes, I hope to make Chickasha in March.

All I need to do now is remember to resize the pics before I post them!!! I'll see if I can do that now.

I done it!!! Resized that puppy right in photobucket.com and it carried thru to the forum. These computers sure are easy when you get lucky!

Don ..now all you have to do is fix the pic to get rid of the old guy messing it up

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Strange,,,,, My wife has been saying the same thing, lately.

'27 Star Coupe

Well, after about 8 days I've managed to get this much done. Everything is lining up nicely. The cowl has a measurement glitch on the right side that I can't reconcile but I now have it sitting plumb and true. The floor boards took me two days to make and assemble. Instead of butting them up against each other, I made a 1/4" half lap on the edges to create a dust seal. I mounted the body on the car frame to check details and cut the holes for the transmission and foot pedals. The doors (assembled a year and a half ago) are fitting in nicely as well.

Photobucket

Lookin good Don, I'm comin along slowly with mine but i'm not as good lookin as you so I won't publish a picture. Glen

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Wow Don that looks great. It looks better than the original Durant factory did. You are a true artistian for sure. Can't wait to see the finished car.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

Don
I should have stayed a while with you and taken wood working lessons. Seeing that framework makes me think I should tear mine down and start again.That is a beautifull piece of work.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Don,
Great Job!
I kind of feel like Ken though......
I have a 614 coupe that I'm getting ready to finish the wood job I started years ago. Your photos are helping to inspire me to tackle it again.

Dave

Thanks Guys! I'll have to admit this is NOT a simple task and you just have to look at it as a giant jigsaw puzzle.
I find I have to think 12 steps ahead of myself at all times. I work about 8 hours and spend another 4 or 5 just looking and thinking.
Right now I have everything fitting nicely back to the body latch pillars but seem to have a problem fitting the rear body section to the latch pillars and keep the doors fitting properly. Next, I'll fit the rear belt line rail and the top side rails and see how the sheet metal lines up after that.
The pattern body I built is coming in very handy as a visual reference of how to continue.

Say, Don, I forgot to ask, Is there a certain wood persertive that should be put on this wood before installing? I have thought of using a wood sealer but what is best for this application? Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Glen,
I doubt if Durant used anything at all but I intend to use two coats of marine spar varnish unless anybody has a better solution.
I would like these cars to last a lot longer than me!!

Don

The Durant Motors Automobile Club