Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1930 407 in Kijiji Phoenix

All orig 407 with extra height for tall people and very hard to find half moon rear window style. Thought I was looking at something made up by Walt Disney or in needed new glasses. Lots of window space.

http://phoenix.kijiji.com/c-Cars-vehicles-Classic-cars-1930-durant-and-ford-flat-head-v8-W0QQAdIdZ38329354

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Re: 1930 407 in Kijiji Phoenix

Very unusual !!! There has GOT to be a story behind that car.

Dave

FYI

When you get to that website, the Red 1930 Durant 407 is owned by Peg and I. So dont think that one is for sale.

I have no clue where that photo came from because it is not in our collection of photos.

Charlie Spitz

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Look carefully at the photographs.

The lower left photo indicates solid rims and larger tire.

The upper left has 12 spoke wooden wheels, a 407 has 10 spoke wooden wheels.

I agree there must be an interesting story behind this car.

Charlie Spitz

The rolling chassis is a 50 Ford pick up. I count 10 spokes not 12 on the Durant.

Dave

Dave

you are correct on the spokes, somehow I miscounted.

thanks for your observation

Charles .. here I was thinking the red one was the before and this gray abortion was the after. Evan the rear fenders have been shortened at the back. 3 piece splash apron to shorten the body length ?? Someone seems to have spent a lot of time cutting and rewelding things to shorten the body and have a car you can stand up in to drive.

Interesting, I didn't know your 407's had the V louvers. Terry's site indicates straight louvers for 407 in all body syles US / Canada (as Ron's sedan has here), actually all other models except the 614. The V only for 614 in all body styles as my old 30 "special sedan" had. Terry's site is missing my old car as a half way standard versus deluxe called the "special sedan" as shown in the 614 sales brocheur I have. V hood was 1930 only with straight louvers in 31 again to end of 32 for the 614's. Doors on the 33 633 hood like the 32 Chevys.

Sure does look like a professional body job. Look at how the top matches the window line. Do you all think it was a factory custom for some show or something?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

Hi Charlie:
I am sure I have seen a picture similar to that one in something Lance or Rick sent me. I believe you must have been at one of the DMAC events in CA. I believe the car that is covered up is Lance's 30 sedan and the other car, just visible by the bumper and LF fender is a Star.
Some of our eagle eye reader's who were there should recognize the building with the shrubs in the background.
As for the other car, I believe it started life as a 407, and someone started to customize it. Ran out of steam and sold it. Now the speculation begins.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

norm, the 1930 6-14 has a coach model that the cataloge site says has vertical louvers...the one i just found is registerd as a 1931 but differs from the site year of 1930 for a coach or blind quarter sedan...

Gordon

Not sure when or where the photo of our car was taken. Whenever we show a car, I take a lot of photographs, and I usually would not take a photo with the car next to me being covered.

While it is possible that Lance did take that photo, it is not one that is in my collection.

Charlie

Hello fellows.
I may have taken that picture up at our Los Angles DMAC National meet a few years back as I had a good car friend
here in San Diego Bob Meigs haul both my 29 Durant 4 door and this red 1930 Durant 407 on one big double car trailer. That car cover does look like my cover and I always covered my car every night and early. I bought this really rare 407 car from our great founder Yates Milton and restored it and painted it red and Charlie Spitz says I got to have that car. So he has it now way back in NJ. Anyway as most of you know I have worked on most all of our Durant, Star, & even some Flint cars and the factory lit only shows that speared hood on the 1930 614 only not the 1931 Durant 614 or the 407. Now here is the kicker they all interchange and we know the farmers and ex Ford nuts wanted only a 4 cylinder engine car so Durant put the existing great heavy duty Mason truck engine W-8 in the 407 and extened the fan hub to get the fan blade closer to the radiator otherwise the cars are exactly the same. I have noticed a couple of these 614 hoods on 407's and my theory is a dealer could have swapped hoods to make a sale as they sure were hard up by 1930 to sell there cars. So that's my take.
Lance Haynes San Diego, CA

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Hi Lance ... Might be an idea to make a 4 look 6 with the V hood. Having said that Gord Taylor's 30 614 has the straight lovered as does Garys one he just found. Is that to make it seem a cheaper car when the tax man comes around ? ha ha Gords is registered as 31 as thats when it was sold. (can't convince DOT the car is a 30 for ownership so he gave up)Perhaps in this case they put the louvered hood on to make it seem same as a 31 and more modern. Could be same idea as the one Gary has found.
I don't think we'll ever figure out Willys cars and all the differences. Seems they just put what ever was handy to create a car. Yes the hoods interchange on the 30's but not sure our 31 / 32 D's fit 30. You recall that I mentioned on the 619 you restored, the hood on my 32 is an inch longer than the 619 ,for the center chrome strip, so couldn't use the Ford one. At that you had to juggle the Ford one to fit. Fronty's have dropped frame and hood sides to compensate. Could be the 619 / Fronty rad shells are an inch narrower and our 31 / 32 614 / 618 hoods do fit the 30 models, haven't got one to measure. I do know some of our parts are unique to Leaside cars only.

Forgot to say our 31 / 32 hood might fit the earlier 30's with out the hood end parts. 30 is rod hinge and 31 / 32 is chromed center removable strip, so hood comes apart in two pieces.

Hi All.....

Way back in the mid 60's I bought my first Durant. It was a 1930 614 blind back coach, just like the one Gary K. just found. It had a straight louvered hood also. Jeff Gillis also had one and his had the straight louver hood . I think this was the way all these blind backs came.

That is Charlie's 407 in the picture, I think that is one of the pictures that Lance sent around a while back.

It is very easy to lift pictures from the internet. I have seen pictures of my cars used for ebay listings!

See y'all in Oregon!!......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Picture may not be lifted from the internet. After all, the cars were parked out in the public, and anyone is entitled to take a picture for their own use. I have lots of pictures of cars that I do not have any idea of the owner.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Earlier today, Lance sent me the photo that he took at the LA DMAC meet.

While I have hundreds of photos from that meeting, this is the first time that I have seen this one......I knew it was my car all along, I just did not know the source of the photo.

One mystery solved, now the mystery of the other car needs to be examined.

Hmmmmmmmm......is it time for Team CSI to get back into action? Or should we wait until the next DMAC meeting and the adventures that Frank will cook up?

Charlie

The Durant Motors Automobile Club