Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Distributor

I have a 1925 Star 4 cyl That I bought in November 07 it is complete and ready to use except for the distributor. I have the housing, shaft and gear. The parts that are missing is the points, condenser and the attaching patrs I also have the rotor and cap. Where can I get the missing parts? I have heard that a VW bug distributor can be made to fit. What changes have to be made to make the VW distributor fit? Thanks Mel

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star 4 Door

Re: Distributor

hi melvin
i have 2 complete distributors e me your address i will sed you one 20$ plus shipping .
brian

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

NAPA carries points, condenser, cap and rotor that will fit & work. The rotor will take a little filing.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Brian, if you still have a complete distributor for a '24 / 27 4 cylinder I sure could use one. Write me at ibldr@aol.com with price plus shipping costs & I will get a check off to you
Thanks,
Andrew

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes.... 1927 Star Coupe & what's left of a '24 Star touring

Hi All.....

The ignition parts that are available from NAPA and others ONLY FIT the late distributors. They will not fit the earlier ones.

You can easily tell the difference by looking at the rotor. If it is a complete circle you have the early style and nothing is available from NAPA or other auto parts companies. There are suppliers that have the NOS parts but be willing to pay the price.

If the rotor is a small tear drop shape, you can use the modern parts. This is true for both the 4 & 6 cylinder cars. If you use the modern ones be sure to use the cap and rotor as a set. They are higher than the originals and not interchangable.

Hope this helps......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

That's what I have been told about the Napa parts ,Frank. They sell two sets for the Continental motors and both fit but make sure the rotor matches the cap for either set.

I had also heard what Melvin was saying about a VW distributor working as well. Don't know the ins and outs on that though.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

hi melvin and andrew
i will ship you each a distributor they are complete, cap rotor points ect.will need cleaning up of course,external 6 volt condensers will,work i have2 new internal type but want them for my 14LS.
ANDREW SEND ME YOUR address, i have yours melvin . price is 20$ per distributor . i will let you know about shipping you both can send cheques include shipping after you approve the product.
brian

Re: Distributor parts at Napa stores

Norm, Napa Auto parts also sells wheel bearings & the new type of seals, but I've found that if you go to a bearing specialty place, the parts are 1/2 the price & they are brand name.... TIMKIN.....made in USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes.... 1927 Star Coupe & what's left of a '24 Star touring

we should not be overly concerned about the access of ignition points i convert the distributor to a set of GM 6cyl points voltage dosent matter !theres lots of room drill and tap 2 holes only measurement you need to watch is adjustment and rotate the points one complete cam lobe so your timing cable will respond corectly.
any 6 volt condenser can be mounted on your coil.
brian

Hi All, I want to thank everyone for their reply's and comments on my need of a distributor.
Brian thank you for your willingness to send me a distributor along with the cost. My wife and I are excited about getting our Star running so we can drive it.

Again Thanks Mel

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star 4 Door

I got all my dist. parts at(www.Vapinc.com.) I'm using a dist from a 27 chev four cyl. on my W5.they have some other parts for durants like pistons for 6 cyl. durants,Flywheel ring gears in stock for continental motor from 1914 to 1965 just to name some and more.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club