Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant model year insight?

Does anyone have some insight here? I own a Durant sedan model D75 that has the continental 6 engine 15U-988, the 6 wire wheels, and built in the New Jersey plant (E-2190). The title shows that it is a 1929 year but according to all the literature I have seen, the D75 was only built one year in 1928. Was my car built in 28 and sold as a 29? What more can I learn from the model/serial numbers? Thanks in advance.

Do You own a car built by Durant? (titled) 1929 D75 Durant

Re: Durant model year insight?

Interesting question. There's a 1930 614 in NS that's indicated as 1931 on ownership as it was sold the following year. Looks like issue year differs to selling year on a few of our cars and registration of cars.
E 2190 is prior to Aug 1928 per listing in DMAC.

That's like the 1932 612 D coup in photos yet US had no 612 1932 only 31 and sedan at that. Why would you want a coup that made into a bed if you couldn't stretch out. Actually I don't think US made any D's after 1931. L is used in the Canadian 1933 633's

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

It's possible the dealer used it as a demonstrator or as a company car with dealer plates for a while before he sold it. I don't think they were too fussy about registrations back then. Some states didn't even have true titles. When Minnesota started with titles, people would forget when they bought the car and often put down the wrong year. I just bought a new car the other day, and boy, the process is not slip-shod anymore. Spent a half hour signing my name about 20 times. Homeland Security may be asking the neighbors about me.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

My research so far has indicated that at least in the USA, vehicle registration was not standard. Some states did not even have any registration, but only a license was required, and in some states there were no licenses only those issued by individual cities. Some of the states that did have registration required that the day the car was bought was the date of registration. Left over cars from say 1928 but were purchased in early 1929 would be registered as 29's, and the paperwork would reflect 1929. The model 75 was introduced in 1928 as the top of the model line for that year. The model 55 was the bottom of the line with the model 65 the middle.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

The Durant Motors Automobile Club