Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
East Coast Chapter Spring Meet

Is there any interest in attending an East Coast Chapter Spring Meet? We are looking for an idea of possible attendance for a March or April meeting somewhere East of the Mississippi? Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky? Please advise so we can start planning. Anybody know of any great car museums or restoration facilities to visit in the area or for that matter just a good area to spend some time and get together with other Durantonians. I know gas prices are high, but they ain't gonna get any better, and probably be higher as summer nears. Give me some ideas of where you'd like to go and who might attend, and I'll start looking for accomadations etc. If you haven't attended a Durant get together this would be a good time to meet knew people and get other members help with your restoration project.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 Durant

Re: East Coast Chapter Spring Meet

Mike

Not sure at this writing whether or not Peg and I have any free weekend before the end of April or early May, but I will throw some ideas out.

1. Charleston, SC Low Country cuisine is fantastic. There are a lot of good restaurants in and around Charleston.....No car museum that I am aware of, but you have Fort Sumner, five navy and coast guard ships that are museums.

2. Myrtle Beach SC, Again, many good restaurants, nice place to visit, but I am not aware of any car museums in the area.

3. Charlottesville, VA......lots of history in the area.

4. Charlotte, NC.....Nice city, many good restaurants, NASCAR track,

Charlie

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

i am in favor of something in the n.carolina area...
i never saw that area much but there must be a good area in that area to be the area we need.....
regards, gary k

Gary could you narrow down that area just a bit

OK here's some additional thougths on the Tar Heel State. Just to the North East of Charlotte is the Charlotte Motor Speedway, and up the road is the town of Salisbury which has the North Carolina Transportation Museum which is the old Southern Railroad steam locomotive repair shops and an antique car museum. What say ye all to staying somewhere in between and taking a visit to the museum one day and the Charlotte Motor Speedway and museum the next? Maybe can arrange a tour of one of the NASCAR shops? Any interest? Also what month would be best. In April there is a very large show at the speedway which is the South's Hershey. It would be too busy and rooms would be too high for that time, but somewhere before or after would be good. If everyone would like to go during the show time, then it might be a challenge to get rooms, but if everyone would like that I'll start working and seeing what I can get. How many would come to that?

We plan to attend regardless of where it is held..
To add to the list for NC you also have the following:
1. ASHEVILLE - Biltmore Estates. Has beautiful gardens and a winery. Near the Blue Ridge Parkway and some country roads for those who bring their old cars.
Key attraction would be the Vanderbilt mansion with over 200 rooms. Not sure how many are open to the public. Have a picture of you and your old car in front of the mansion

2. WILMINGTON - The Azalea Festival in April draws thousands. Nine miles from Wrightsville Beach and 15 miles from Carolina Beach. Could tour the battleship North Carolina and visit Fort Fisher. It is also the location of a motion picture firm. I don't recommend it during the Azalea Festival as rooms are $150 - $200 per night. Beautiful when azaleas are in bloom. Interstate 95 crosses I-40 which ends in Wilmington.

Gary, I hope the area is in the area of the area of which area you where thinking.

I will be glad to assist Mike if held in Salisbury or Charlotte or with anyone in helping make arrangements.
Let's get er goin y'all.
Yates

Rick, i was talking about the areaola....?????

We could go to the Carolinas. Have you checked the price on the Biltmore Estate. IT was $35 , I think, when we where last in that area 3 winters ago. Heck, I've toured complete castles for $5.
More fun at "Twin Peaks": that's Dollywood. Mary likes the fabric store in Gastonia and I like the woodworking stuff. and WHO'S more fun than people?

mike, that sounds great....and it is near "many members" if you know what i mean...we could maybe visit a couple members shops and see their cars being done....or something....gary

Yates

What does this mean? "Gary, I hope the area is in the area of the area of which area you where thinking."

Are you running for political office? This is like the triple talk that I am hearing on the TV with all of these politicians.

Ashville is nice, but I agree $35 is a bit much for a tour of the Biltmore.

Charlotte, the speedway is HUGE, a behind the scenes tour would be nice....

charlie

Mike.... use to go every year to the now called "Lowes Motor Speedway" for the Hornets nest swap meet in early April.... huge event but mostly muscle cars and street rods!! Great area with wonderful weather during the April/May time period. I would hope to be able to get away and see everybody at a spring meeting if possible!

Charlie,
Was just poking fun at Gary with his use of the word area in his post. Maybe the use of "many members" was a poke back since there is only two members from NC.
Yates

THE AACA IS HAVING THEIR REGIONAL SPRING MEET IN CUMBERLAND MARYLAND ON MAY 15TH THRU MAY 18TH.THIS IS NEAR THE W VIRGINIA BORDER. THIS COULD ALSO BE A POSSIBLE SITE, NEARBY, FOR OUR MEET AS OUR MEMBERS COULD ENJOY THE AACA SHOW DURING THE DAY. THE TOWN ALSO HAS AN OLD TIME RAILROAD RIDE AND HAS NIGHTLY ACTIVITIES THAT WE COULD SIGN ON TO AND STILL HAVE OUR OWN THINGS TO DO. JUST AN IDEA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 STAR TOURING

I spoke with Frank W the other night and he thinks that sometime the last two weeks of April may be a good target date. We have decided on the Salisbury North Carolina area which is halfway between Charlotte and Greensboro right of route 85. More to follow in the future once final plans are made. We will tour the North Carolina Transportation museum in Spencer North Carolina which is a steam train and car museum and then tour the Charlotte motor speedway and the NASCAR museum. How does that sound?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

i like it.......

FYI

Passover is the weekend of April 19
April 26 is National Pretzel Day

Also, for those of us that may fly to the meeting, having the hotel closer to Charlotte is better, also there are some nice restaurants in the Charlotte area, including Sullivan's Steakhouse and McCormick and Schmick

Charlie

Sounds great to me. Mary will be happy to be near "Mary Jos Fabric Store" in Gastonia and Kingspor [or something like that] has a great woodworking store in the area. We will try to search out enough money in such a sour stock market just as soon as we get back from Portugal.

good thoughts Charlie....do those restaurants serve kosher if we go 4/19....regards, gary k

Gary

I doubt that they serve kosher at any time.....one of them is a steakhouse the other is known for seafood.....I would avoid Passover weekend as a choice.

and if we do it the weekend of April 26 we can celebrate National Pretzel Day

charlie

Your right Charlie ; we can not ignore National Pretzel Day any longer. Soooo Apr 26 sounds great to me.
What's a pretzel?

Hey Charlie...a good steak is always kosher to a portly guy like me...i do like the idea of may and a car swap meet if it is close to the area we are looking at.....hello ed v. ....regards, gary

Re: East Coast Chapter Spring Meet May 01, through May 4th 2008

finalizing plans for the East Coast Chapter Spring Meet and should have the hotel locked in by Monday or Tuesday. Looks like the dates will be May 1st through May 4th which is a Thursday through Sunday, in the Salisbury, North Carolina area. Trips will be to the North Carolina Transportation museum in Spenser North Carolina (Steam train and car museums)and the Lowes Motor Speedway (Formerly the Charlotte Motor Speedway) visiting the track and the NASCAR museum there. We are working on possible additional tours that would be of interest to the members but nothing is concrete yet. More to come as soon as I can get the arrangements made.

All you DMAC members East of the Mississippi here's your chance to have a great time and meet and talk with your fellow DMAC members. The East Coast Chapter meeting will be held May 01, through May 04th, 2008 at the following hotel:

Holiday Inn
530 Jake Alexander Boulevard
Salisbury, North Carolina 28147

direct phone number is 704-637-3100

Room rates $89.99 per night Use code 2DUR

This room rate includes a coupon for a free breakfast each night registered at the restaurant. This rate is about $20.00 off their regular room rate. Reservations must be made by April 18th, but can be canceled after that if need be. We have 20 rooms blocked and the rooms not reserved by April 18th will be released and full price must be paid after that, so make your reservations and you can cancel if something comes up.

When you call the hotel make sure you mention the above code or you can book online. The person I spoke with is Carolyn Wilson.

Right now we have planned a trip to the North Carolina Transportation museum in Spenser NC and the Lowes Motor Speedway the NASCAR track. We are working on getting a tour of one of the NASCAR car builders shops and possibly one other location, but that is not confirmed yet.

If Possible either let me know here or email privately and let me know if your coming or not.

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

Mike

OK it's two days before the deadline (April 18th) to get the discounted rate for the hotel and I sent out all the event notices via mail to the registered ECC members. I requested confirmation if anyone was going to attend and as of today no one has replied to Frank or I as to if they are going to attend, except Charlie and Jack. I emailed the hotel today and they have not responded as to any registrations. Sooo is anyone going to attend? I guess if we get no interest then the event will be canceled.

Sorry Mike, We are unable to attend... I hope you get some takers!! I know the east coast group are party animals!
Maybe they are all still in winter hybernation?
we will miss you all!

Where Are You From? www.oldcarlenses.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Just a few...

The Durant Motors Automobile Club