Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horn Button And Switch

Franz and I are thinking of making a replacement for the horn button and switch that was used on my 1925 Star and other Durant products. The switch slips inside the nut that holds the steering wheel on and the button overhangs the nut. The switch, button and nut are shown in the picture. The pigtail sticking out of the switch is actually a piece of the wire from the horn.

1925 Star Horn Button

On the Flint, the button sits on top of a cylindrical housing but I suspect that the switch is the same. I've also seen a 1937 Rolls Royce with a similar switch.

We can make this as a one-off or as a production run so we'd like to get an idea of the potential demand.

What makes and models used this switch? (Any Chevies?)

At $30 to $50, would you be interested in buying one?

Thanks.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Horn Button And Switch

Sign me up for one for my 1925 Star Touring. I recently bought a horn off of eBay and was wondering what to do for horn button.
Thanks
Chuck Faulkner
cfaulknerdesigner@yahoo.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F Touring

Vince
Is there any chance you guys would be making a horn button and the piece it fits into for my car? --I have a button but need the surrounding part that attaches to the column. I would be a buyer if you are making any.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Ken ... don't you just pull the tail of the moose with a string attached, thats hauling your car around ,to have a bellow or roar you are coming ???

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

My 26 Star Coach appears to have the same horn assembly as your photo and works well. It is pressure sensitive, so the harder pushed, the louder. The only problem has been a short apparently, when the steering wheel is turned to the far right or left, it sometimes engages the horn. I imagine there is a short in the two wires internally that appear twisted. Is there any preference to "wire" that best suits this application to avoid an out of control horn? This problem still occurred after rewiring with new wire. Will your new assembly be touch sensitive, soft to loud?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

So far, we've confirmed that the '25 Flint used the same switch and button. Are there any more applications?

Ken: Are you talking about the nut that holds the steering wheel on or the switch itself. The bottom of the switch is encased in a bakelite sleeve. It slips inside the nut and is held in place with a set screw. We will be making a replacement for this part.

Ron: This switch has a single wire leading to it. When the button is pushed it makes a ground with the steering column and the horn honks. It is not pressure sensitve and does not provide for two tones or volumes.

I'm also checking with a Chevy supplier to see if Chevy did't use thesame switch.

Put me down for one.

Vince: I may have mis-stated the "pressure sensitive" horn button -- however, when the horn button is "tapped lightly" - the horn makes a lower growl, and not as loud as when pushed hard and the full horn sounds. Is this typical? I have heard that the design of this horn and its sound related to horses on the road, and a sound that would be "animal-like" and not startle a horse. Is this true or myth? Cordially, Ron

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

Hi Ron.....

I vote for "urban legend" on the horse thing.

Actually, because the horns on our cars are motor driven they can take a while to get up to speed. The horn button is just an on-off switch. When you just tap it a short burst of current is applied and the motor just starts to turn. Thus the low sound. When the button is held for a longer time the horn motor is able to get up to speed and produce a louder sound.

Also when these horn motors become worn they are slower in starting and produce different sounds.

There were some unique sounding horns during this era. I have a 1920 Overland and the horn sounds more like an old door bell. It just rings. Hard to hear even with out the engine running. But I never have to worry about scaring any horses!

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Vince
My horn button is held in place by a bakelite ring which is attached to the steering column with 3 srews that come thru the bottom of the steering wheel
I have the button and could use the bakelite ring and all the interior mechanism that makes it all work ( spring and large flat washer type thing ) I have the nut holding the steering wheel. I also have a new wiring hatness (made by a good friend )
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hello everyone,
about the sound of the horn.
underneath the push button is a brass washer that closes the circuit to ground.
the hot wire goes to the horn and from the horn to the button on the steering wheel. There it grounds through the nickel plated brass nut to the body of the car.
With time the washer and the nut corrode and a layer if oxide forms that insulates.
Only a little bit of voltage goes through and the little motor in the horn is spinning slower making a gentler sound.

Franz

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

Dear Vince,

I'm working on my Dad's 1925 Star Touring. The horn button is missing. The nut is there. Do you have this part for sale?
Thank you
Jim
408 292-1488

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

Contact Franz at Vancouver Durant Star Connection (go to the Links page).

He has made some very good reproductions.

Hey Vince: Question, Do I get a free one being that some of the parts are from my junk???????? Will you have any at the meet in Astoria? I need the parts back for my car.

Franz is handling all the sales. I would be pleased to buy you one since I wouldn't have mine without yours. (Franz: que him up one!) Yours was beyond recovery but it served as the basis for the repro. Keep holding on to your "junk" as it has come in handy for several of us.

Hey Bert,
I will bring you a button next week!
And a few extra, ha.
Franz

The Durant Motors Automobile Club