Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Shock absorbers

Regarding Shocks, I seen several inquirys reguarding shock absorbers on different models, but there are none on my '27 Star Coupe or my '24 Star Touring, and I can see no signs of there having been any.....front or rear. Was that some kind of option? I'm begining to see that nothing is STANDARD on most of Durants automobiles So far, it's been frustratingly FUN & CHALLENGING owning a DuranT!

Andrew

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes.... 1927 Star Coupe & what's left of a '24 Star touring

Re: Re: Shock absorbers

Andrew ... you just finding that out ? There are no two Durants the same. The employees threw all the parts in the air and what they caught coming down became the next car off the line. ha ha
Gord can tell you of 4 same Frontys each with different shocks and more such stories. Assembliers must have reached in box A and put the pieces on that car and box B for the next car. Lets call put a Durant crest on this car and next car a Rugby crest. Aughhhh to us restorers as to what the car might have had, should have had and did have.
Like Johnny Cash's song of building a caddy one piece a time and it was made up of 1940 - 60 parts.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Stars in your years didn't come with shocks. Many people then and now retrofitted them. There was an article in the Durant Partner on how to do this.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Given the news that variations occurred on the assembly line -- do we conclude that there is no "standard" or "pure" restoration to original? Such as shocks -- is it appropriate and suggested to add these items now? I'm not worried about preserving value -- but the car I have appears to be as "pure" as could be as new, and I don't want to mess it up. Opinions and comments appreciated.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

The Durant Motors Automobile Club