Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leaking Gas tank Gauge

I have a model 40 roadster with the original gas tank and gauge which is a cork with a wire arm which pivots through the gauge into a round flat sight glass which is fixed by a threaded cap on the rear of the tank. The issue is that I have gas leakage through the gauge into the sight glass area which in the end drips out. I have an access opening on the top of the tank so I can see inside of the gauge, but there appears to be nothing to be done on that end. The gauge is riveted and welded to my tank and I am not too excited about taking it off since the tank is otherwise in good shape. Has anyone out there experienced similar problems? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Dan

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes Model 40 Roadster

Re: Leaking Gas tank Gauge

I believe that if you remove the threaded cap, the whole gauge may be removed. There should be a gasket between the gauge and the tank and a gasket on both sides of the glass in the threaded cap. If I am not correct in this assumption, I am sure that someone else will provide a more complete answer.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Gordon thanks for your response but the gauge is brazed into the exterior threaded site glass assembly. Probably to fix it I am going to have to remove the site glass assembly from my tank just to get to the gauge to see if it is repairable. Thanks again. Dan

Hi All....

Gord is correct. The original sysrem was screwed in with two gaskets. It is the same set up that is used on early Chevies (Imagine that) !

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Frank, do you know if replacement gauges are available from the Chevy people? The one in our Durant is toast.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Hi Gord...

The late 20's Chevy gas gauge is the same as the one on my 28 Durant M-2 coupe.

Check out Gary Wallace for some of the parts like gaskets, glass lens, and the float and indicator. He also has used parts available, and may have a complete unit. His web site is

www.20schevyparts.com

I have dealt with him and he is a good guy and very helpful

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Thanks to all those who commented on this thread. I will think about all that was stated and the course of action that I will take in the repair. Thanks Dan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Durant

The Durant Motors Automobile Club