Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1931 Devaux for sale

Greetings,

There is a 1931 Devaux for sale on EBAY. I don't believe it is all original.

Dennis

Re: 1931 Devaux for sale

Don't see it. Do you have a number?
Wayne

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Here you go guys . can't spell the name

1931 Other Makes : DE VAUX Item number: 330204255531

Boattail roadster in the pic. Orig rear end or "custom" body ???

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Dennis: That car has appeared for sale a few times in the last few years. DeVaux Hall Motors did not make any roadsters or convertibles in 31. In 32 they did build the roadster. Two known to exist. One in the Grand Rapids Museum and the other is Myron's. All 31 DeVaux's have the "Hall" 6 cylinder engine. This one says 8 cylinder. Could be a typo. I also notice no bumper and no headlights. Gary

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Interesting fake. De Vaux did make the Custom Coup and Sedan models but no open cars as Gary says. Probably a typo like the 5 door 28 Durant sedan on Ebay last spring with auto tranny (yet stick shift) and bullet hole in the back body panel. Never did find out where that 5th door was. Perhaps a escape hatch if under attack, ha ha

Hi there. I went to see this car today and I have some questions for all of you out there. If I take this one up as a restoration project, any good advice you could give? Is it possible to get parts to restore it close to its original condition? Any suggestions/questions?

Thank you.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet

Hi Peter Thats an interesting question. As what ? Have you referred to this site for what the car could have been like body wise ? They were all closed cars 1931.

http://www.durantcars.com/basics/history.shtml

Look under De Vaux and then 1931 for info as to body. It gives the bodies and info on the various closed bodies offered by De Vaux Motor's for 1931 (and 1932). Looks like you will need a closed body of some sort and bumpers, lights, etc. Appears you would have the rolling stock (chassis) and have to build / find everything else. Its a parts car presently for purists or a project needing restoring to its orig state, whatever that was. Either that or leave it as a Mickey Mouse fake and add lights and bumpers. Nothing is impossible. Someone out there might have a body and missing parts to turn it back to what it was or might have been. You would be in the same boat as us with Dominion Motors cars and parts are scarce if at all. Couldn't continue to use up parts to creat our cars, oh no. A few are unique to themselves ,like bumpers and handles. Almost 619 but not, sigh. Oh well, it makes the cars more unique to themselves. Mind you Durant Motor's cars differ themselves for same model and year. Its often commented that there are no two Durants the same, ha ha.
Norm

While this may not be an original car, it is an interesting example of early customizing. Why not just restore it as it is and try to find the history of the car and who built it. As you know the Concourse de Elegance in Pebble Beach has a class for historic customs and hot rods.
Chuck Faulkner

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F Touring

I agree with Chuck. Just changing the windshield to something more rakish would do wonders to the looks of this car.

Dave

Thank you for your comments. Today is the decision day. A few more details on the vehicle. It has a 1955 Oregon license plate on it, yet supposedly it had been stored in Los Angeles area. According to the seller, pink slips cays "Coupe". I think it could be modified from a "Custom Coupe" because of the wire wheels. Also, I think it could have been a racecar, since the modifications were made at least fifty years ago. There are no windows on the doors either. The seller told me they were the fastest production cars in their time and some of them were used as police cars? Any truth to that? BTW, the engine (which is removed) is a Hall 6-cylinder.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet

Is the engine missing? or just removed?
The body style now would be called a boat tailed speedster.In the 30's custom coach builders used to build them. Auburn is one company that comes to mind that offered them. Next time you see the car check out the quality of construction of the doors and "tail". It is probably wood framed. If the wood is in bad shape you are talking more work or more cost.

Dave

Sounds like the motor is off side, by Peter's comments. Hall 6 is correct for DeVaux's. Bit of playing around it would be an eye opener drving down the street anyway. Now a days most people have no idea if cars are right or wrong. All they see is an old car. With that body perhaps Ruxton lights like the Duzy or Auburn accessories.
Like our Dominion cars, there aren't many DeVaux's left either.

Peter: I have a clipping where a LA dealer was demonstrating the speed of the DeVaux on the streets. They were probably trying to sell to police because of the strong Hall engine. Col Elbert Hall was the designer of the WW1 Liberty Engine. Gary

Where Are You From? www.devauxregistry.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The engine removed from the body, but it is included in the purchase. I have not seen it yet but supposedly the bottom end has been rebuilt sometime ago. I did not see any wood in the boattail, just really heavy gauge steel.

Could be a home made body or some kit. Lad here in the 60's couldn't find the rear half of a 26 Star roaster so fabricated from the door back. No trunk lid just one piece sloping back part like the orig shape would have been. You pulled the seat cushion forward if you wanted to stow anything back there. I saw the same car for sale in the paper this Spring. So she's still around 40+ yrs later. Actually it had no rear end and we found him one in a field. Unfortunately he put the rear end in backwards so had one forward and 3 reverse, Soon switched that.

about this devaux speedster, i found this car about 5 years ago, i tried to research it at that time,closest thing i found was a how to build a speedster in mechanics illustrated late40s early 50s as i remember, i believe originally was a 4 door sedan from size of doors, might be fun when finished has a terrible winsheild, also i am, always lookig for devaux cars, parts & literature
call anytime 909-980-5766
thanks dave enrico

Do You own a car built by Durant? 31 &32 devauxs both coupes, also 29 durant sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club