Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Source for new leather fan belts

I found a source for new leather fan belts.

A gentleman named John Knox will make them to order, you send him your measurements and he will do the rest.

I have the original belt off of 1929 14L, it is one inch wide. Using a meauring tape and the fan hub adjusted all the way down, I wrapped the tape around the bottom pulley and fan hub. This came out to about 40.5 inches so wanted a little slack ordered a 41" inch belt. He has a super guarantee, he says he will adjust/shorten the belt for as long as he is still on earth, you just pay postage both ways.

The cost is less than $30USD.

www.LeatherDriveBelts.com
jeknox@knoxusa.com

Where Are You From? www.LeatherDriveBelts.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Sport Roadster

Re: Source for new leather fan belts

Is there a standard fan belt length for a 1926 Star Continental 6 Cyl? It seems likely if this measurement is known, it will be a better choice than take chances of an inaccurate personal measurement. Will be nice to order one to have on hand.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

Rick

I have a similar question.....are there standard lenghts?

My 1929 Durant 6-61 has a leather fan belt, and I am concerned that it could break......

thanks

charlie

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Rick

and i meant to type 6-63 and did not see the typo

charlie

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

First don't assume your measurements are inaccurate as it's a simple measure to take and there is room for error. Remember the fan hub slides up and down on it's bracket, it was expected that the belt would stretch under normal operation. Second, there were at least two different sized fan hubs used on the 14L engine from 1926 to 29 then add 80 years and you can't be 100 percent sure of the part on your car. What I know is that the earlier engines prior to 1929 used a small fan hub and that hub can even be found on some 1929 models, it will use a shorter belt of around 39", but measure you own to be sure. The later motors from around serial 88,508 were supposed to have a larger fan hub, 15L engines may also have this hub. My motor has the larger fan hub so after I measured, I asked for a 41" belt expecting a little extra slack. Remember John will shorten it for free when needed.

Rick

Where Are You From? www.LeatherDriveBelts.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Sport Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club