Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
another 1930 Coup lost

Was told about this car in Guelph being turned into another hot rod like Levis's. Chad's going to keep the body stock he tells me. Here's his addy chadfinley30@msn.com

http://www.canadianrodder.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=parts1;action=display;num=1196546131

1930 Durant drivline parts

I have all the original drive-line out of my 1930 Durant coupe, front axle, rear end and motor and tranny etc ,None of which are seized...PM for more info

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Re: another 1930 Coup lost

Chad has asked I post nothing is for sale at present until we can determine what the car is. The VIN plate shows Durant not Dominion model 6-14 definately B not a T but the number doesn't make sense if we use the numbers on the tech page for a Leaside 1931 as starting at B 4270 and up. What Chad has sent me seems to shows B 1394. Its the 1 that's in question and might be a 4. Wouldn't you know it the critical number is messy. I'll copy a few lads on the plate to get their views if a 1 or a 4 OR ???
Hood has straight louvers not the V of the 30 6-14. Keep you informed as we go along.

Well I think we have to rewrite the Durant serial numbers for Leaside. One for 633's 1933 as L1001 to L1008 and now Chad's car. The number is correct B 1394 not a B 4394. Dash is same as the 30 before Dominion Motors with the elongated crest not the Frontenac styled later 31 / 32's. This must be an early 31 before Durant's collapse, with the B number.
Another quirk the engine colour was yellow and its still seen under the gasket, head / block.

Chad's not into rodding and chopping up cars, but reto fitting them with new motors / wheels. That way the cars can be restored later with little work if the owner or new owner so decides. Nothing is destroyed. On that note he's undecided to sell or restore the car.

Norm and other interested members. Here is something else to add to your Leaside (DURANT MOTORS - DOMINION MOTORS) oddity list. The following are all prefix letters that have been used to preceed Leaside serial numbers from the information I have gathered to date.

A, B, E, G, J, L, and M (the E&L's could be u.s.a. automobiles just sold by Leaside)

You would almost think that they were going in alfabetical order by model and year, with "M" being the last one's from 1933. Which is in line with the 2 1933 Frontenac C 400's that I have documented.

Lets see if this works

Nothing works to post a pic of the plate from Photobucket. Tried all 4 things there.

I've been meaning to contact you about what you might have on our cars, Steve.

Yes I see
A is 407 1931
B is 614 1931
C is 618 1931
D is 611 1931
E is Fronty 1931
F is 618 1932
G is Fronty 1932
H is 407 1932
J is 614 1932
K could be 685 Fronty 1932
L is 633 1933
M is C400's
N?? is C600 ??

Wonder if anyone knows what's on the Carleton Place C600 if anything now.

All I can suggest is Chad's might be Jan to March 1931 right in the mess of Durant's collapse. It has the 30 dash etc but saying that our 1931 Dominion 614 sedan here has the same handles / pulls of the 1930, but dash of the Fronty like my 32 614 (but with Fronty pulls). Know that all too well being in and driving the 31 in the 60's everywhere. How well I remember us sitting out in the countryside with an air lock waiting for that to unblock, and no one around for miles. ha ha.

Should have looked in Frontenac serial numbers in Tech Page.

E is the 1931 6-18 Fronty
G is the1932 6-70 "
K is the 1932 6-85 "
P is the C600 Not N ".

Perhaps C800 might be an N if produced as asked in Terry's site. If not I guess they skipped I and N for Durant or Frontenac ?? I could be mistaken for a 1 so probably missed.

Now we have a better idea of the Dominion cars.

Holy cow it worked when it shouldn't have

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

the number must start lower

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1930coupe vin#2879 car was from here

Keith:
Does your VIN # on the plate have a letter in front of it.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Lordy are you guys keeping all the Durants / Frontys in Guelph ? ha ha

Keiths 30 has to be T serial number 2879 is between 1930 407 and 614 numbers. 4-07 T 1001 to T3350 and 6-14 T 1001 to 4269.

Based on Chad's with B it may possibly be 31 before the switch or during the switch. Dash is prior to Dominion of the Fronty style or 619's of the US. Chad's just doesn't make sense from the info we know about VIN's. Actually Chad's should be painted T and stamped numbers.
Another enigma of our cars.

pardon my intrusion but....doesn't the number stamping seem to go off the spacing of the original number block??? perhaps it is someone's early attempt at renumbering a car with A HOME STAMPED plate
to get it titled when none came with it....????
we have all seen this done or did it ourselves over the years, haven't we??????

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Intrude away Gary. I gather all the former owners / ownership are known, per my emails with Chad. Stamping of the VIN numbers must be individually done as none I have seen are all in a neat row. I have a few Star VIN plates I took off remains in fields in the 60's and they are the same. Isn't that a great job, sitting there all day with hammer and number punches. Talk about boring. I can see why numbers jump if one got tired and wasn't watching.

You mean to tell us you are dishonest and falsified VIN info to cheat ? Now we know .... (head held in shame)LOL. Actually up here if we had no VIN plates especially Ford T where the frame was stamped and no one could find the darned thing, we used a part number off the motor or something. Not even sure Ford T's had plates as I never saw any and I pulled lots of parts home back then. Lad I know used the part number off his Ford A water neck on the head. Who would know or care anyway. It put the car on the street with plates and the enjoyment of driving it. Got past MTO's games trying to register cars. The hoops they tried to put me through to change ownership on Dorothy. Almost needed a lawyer to get through all the red tape. At that I had the 1961 ownership paper. Gave up in the spring over it and retried in the fall but different outlet. This time I sailed through but with one small setback. I wanted the correct VIN to show. Paper had I 5222 not J 5222. MTO in the past had recorded or typed the wrong info. Oops what am I saying they do not make errors. They are Gods who walk on water. Anyway she asked me to print / write the correct VIN on a piece of paper, in front of her, and sign it. That was it and Dorothy is in my name and correct VIN.
Norm

The Durant Motors Automobile Club