Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winter has come

Seems like winter has come with a vengance. Snowing like crazy and blowing as well. Good time to sit here with a hot rum and plan the next step in the restoring process. Should pack it in and head south .
Hope you are all having better weather than this is.
Take care all ---and as Frank says -
See ya all in Oregon.
( I plan on being there this time .)
Wishing everyone a very merry christmas
and the best in the new year.
Ken (alias nanook of the frozen north )

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Winter has come

Ken ..did you ship some of your darned snow here ? Heck I was hoping it would be Feb this time, as last winter it was mid Jan before we got snow. Wife of the former owner of the 32 was planting flower bulbs Dec 17th when we picked Dorothy up and brought her home. Another DMAC'er down southern Ont has pics of his two cars one without snow mid Jan and with the next day. Sure is making up for it now. Started mid Nov with leaves still on a lot of the trees. My bushes still have the leaves but brown. Guess even the vegetation doesn't know whats going on with our crazy weather.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

I gotta mow the grass tomorrow,,,,,,,

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

It's winter in Iowa too. I'm doing my snow the hard way. Recovering from 2 broken wrists and a pelvic fracture, the neighbors are taking turns shoveling my snow and chipping ice. It's as easy as falling out of a tree but I don't recommend it. My Durant is in the main garage off the kitchen for the winter so I may be able to tinker some when I can make my hands work again.

Wayne

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Wayne
I never have used a tree stand so dont think I will ever fall from one. Besides ,I am too ****ed old to be climbing trees --haha. I got my elk, moose, and a white tail deer this year and have a few days left to maybe find my mule deer. Good eating at my place this year. Hope you are recovering okay .Just dont rush it --we dont heal as fast now as when we were kids.
Ken

We were out in short sleeves working on the antique cars and spray painting outside. Had to turn on the air conditioning when the temp got up to 80 yesterday here near Houston. This is the time to make real progress on the cars. Hear there is a cold front coming in next week from you guys up north. It snowed here 4 years ago.

Put the Christmas lights up today. The first day in two weeks that the temp has been above freezing. With the sun shining it is actually quite comfortable. About 4 deg C right now.
Merry Christmas!
Don't think that I would want it to be 80 deg F. this close to Christmas.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Gord .. I think we should send them some of our Canadian snow for Christmas and perhaps before heh heh. Yes for some reason we have a warm front and its a balmy 36 F out right now. I'm sure it won't be long and we'll be -20 F come Jan.

Hi Guys, here in the far far south america we are entering to a very nice summer , the weather is hot with 76F, sunny, and the best time to enjoy my durant in the sand of beach
Don't worry , in a few months I was working on my next project and you will enjoying yours cars
By

Wishing everyone a very merry christmas
and the best in the new year.
Walter

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant Rugby 1928 M2 and 1929 M4 Touring

I'll tell you we can sure ship snow now to anyone that wants it. Had to shovel from the back door to open the front and have never done that in the 30 + yrs we've been here. And at that we are only in the middle of whats said to be coming. Reg ,Ron, Gord and the rest must be having the same fun. Maritimes are going to get worse hit with freezing rain as well.

when i moved down by the ocean they said it never snows here,what in the heck do they call that 1ft. of white stuff,they are a bunch of lyers.
hi ken i,ll be in touch soon haven,t had a moose steak since ontario,anything you need//????????
hungery BRIAN merry xmas

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 27star

We have shovelled the driveway twice today and each time there was over 6 inches of snow plus the drifts around the cars. Will have to do it again tonight. Norm, I remember the year that Ottawa got 10 feet of snow. World capital for snow they said.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Gord
I lived in Ottawa in the witer of 72/73.
We had 14ft 71/2 inches of snow that winter.Thats why I got the hell out of there. The paper put out a certificate saying we had survived the winter of the big snow. Shovelled my way out every morning
and back in every night.
Brian
Drop in anytime-I will have the moose for dinner .(or elk if you prefer.) Cant think of anything I need right now
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1

Yep Gord we have pic's of Di and my 1st house on Claire St with walls of snow we had no room to throw it up higher. Front walk was more like a tunnel to the road. The Ottawa Citizen put out certificates that we survived the snow that year. Have it around here somewhere. Funny it reminded me of when I was a young lad and dad had to go out my sisters bedroom window onto the back veranda roof. Slide down off that and work his way to shovel out the front door, so we could get out. Most winters late 40's early 50's were lots of snow and we walked everywhere back then, no car until 1956. Weren't part of Ottawa until 1952.

HELLO NORTHERN NEIGHBORS....NOTHING LIKE THAT HAPPENING HERE IN S.E. PENNSYLVANIA....BUT THERE IS A "HORRENDOUS BANSHEE" SCREAMING AT US FROM OUTSIDE.....I THOUGHT MY MOTHER-IN-LAW HAD AWAKENED FROM THE DEAD AND WAS COMING TO GET ME. .....WINTER CAN BE TAXING.....HOPE YOU ALL SURVIVE THE ORDEAL. I WILL LIGHT A CANDLE FOR LUCK TO ALL OF YOU....
P.S. WHAT DOES MOOSE TASTE LIKE??????
REGARDS, GARY K

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Gary
Moose is very good tasting meat. Not like venison . It is closer to beef I guess. It is a coarse grain meat.Not fine grain like caribou or mountain sheep. If you get a good one it has no really gamey taste to it, and mine is a good one. Join Brian and come up .-I will give you a good feed --hahaha.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1

hey ken,keep the moose thing quiet,or their won,t be enough to go around
ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
brian

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 27star

Don't think that will be a problem. Moose seem to be on the upswing around here. Used to be deer that became road kill constantly but now we can add Moose as well. Usually a one or two now that get fished out of swiming pools or chased through neighbourhoods. Deer constantly.

Just came in from shoveling since 5 am. Neighbour beat me at 4 am. Sure no problem with a white Christmas in Ottawa and Valley. sheesh. To think a yr ago today we brought Dorothy home and it was green grass, sunny and balmy weather out. The former owners wife was planting flower bulbs when we arrived with the trailor.

well, i wonder if i could eat a whole moose steak myself....would be fun to try....but i don't think i can make the trip in that weather...i am too short to walk in deep snow.....i wonder, does fat float on top of snow or would i sink to the bottom of the drift??????
regards, gary k

Gary
I think it would depend on wether the snow is maybe melted ha ha .
Snow shoes work good on fat as well as skinny
That was a good question --ha ha ha
Ken

AHHHHHH.....REVELATIONS OF JOY......THE TEACHER HAS BEEN TAUGHT. I AM LEAVING THE HOUSE TONIGHT ...ON SNOW SHOWS...GET THE STEAKS READY...I JUST HAVE TO FIND A SIZE 93 SNOWSHOE...THAT IS WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY IS NEEDED FOR MY 300 PLUS POUND MASS....ON MELTED SNOW......LOL
REGARDS, GARY

Found a pic of Ken hitching up the motive power of his Durant coup

Durant puller

Norm-
That doesnt look like a durant bumper up front there --hahaha--Probably pretty good acceleration tho --
and lots on miles to a gallon of oats But the exhaust might be a bit much to handle --
Ken

now kenney, that's a stinking thing to say!!!

Actually that is a bit bigger than the moose I shot this year--probably a lot tougher as well. If you guys want to join gary on his snow shoes-come on out and I feed you a good steak .. no exhaust problem either--ha ha ha --(at least not till after you eat it )
Ken

Well this little note turned out to be the most fun I have had with all my clothes on . It was nice kidding around with all you durantonians.
But now to be serious--
Norma and myself want to wish you all a very merry Christmas and the very best in the new year.
We hope to meet a lot of you in Oregon this coming summer
Ken and Norma McCormick

and to you and norma a healthier as well as happy new year....gary and marcia k

The Durant Motors Automobile Club