Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Body removal - 1926 R Coupe

I am starting to get my car taken apart and now am at the point where I am ready to take the body off the frame. I was thinking I could remove it in one piece until I started looking at the steering column. I have all of the hardware for the column removed but if I leave it in there, I would have to lift the whole body over top of it. The reason I would like the body in one piece is for storage. I figure all of the parts can stay where they belong until I am ready to work on them. My plant is to do the drive line first. Any thoughts? Thanks, Brian.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star R Coupe

Re: Body removal - 1926 R Coupe

Brian....When your car was originally built, the chassis was complete including the front fenders, splash shiels and the steering colomn before the body was lowered into place. You have just discovered (in my opinion) one of the biggest reasons they did it this way! It is almost impossible to remove the column (especially on a coupe) without doing damage to your car or it's interior. My suggestion would be to remove the heavier items such as the doors and deck lid as complete as possible (reassemble afterwards if you wish) and then making sure you have plenty of head room and help.... lift the body off over a loosened column. It's a real pain, but the only other way I could think of doing this would be to remove the steering wheel, floor boards and ect... and trying to take the column loose from everything and out through the bottom? I have never tried it this way and I'm not sure it would work or how high the car would have to be in the air? How about it coupe owners.... How did you do yours? Did anyone else ever try it this way???

On my car I unbolted the steering box from the frame . and it came out thru the door --wheel and all . You would have to disconnect the horn wire and if you have them -the choke and throttle controls . and remove the floor boards .And of course disconnect the steering from the end shaft. Didnt seem like a big job but you maybe have a different set up than I have --
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

Thanks for the advice fellas. I have removed all of the extra added weight such as the doors and trunk lid. My body has a bit of rust on it and I don't think it would survive a high twisting lift over the steering column. I think I am going to go the remove the steering box from the frame route. I am also am looking for a few parts my car. I need two window crank handles, two headlight lenses, interior door handles, and what I am calling the rocker panel on the passenger side of the car, it is the piece that spans the opening at the bottom of the door. I am also wondering if there should have been a dome light for the interior as well. Thanks, Brian.

i was told to brace my door openings with bars of steel so the body doesnot sag when lifted...weld- tack a bar from side to side and across door openings...diagnally
you can cut of and grind away tacks after body is mounted again

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

hi brian
good advice from kamloops ken i removed the body on my 26 star r sedan with steering column and box .I disconnected the box from the frame,slid it up wired it to the vacume pump and lifted the body off i slid the shaft out when the body was mounted on 3 saw horses.
GOOD LUCK AND POST SOME PICS ON YOUR WEB AS YOU PROCEED.
BRIAN BOys

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 27star

Brian: We bought our car with steering column already out, one pece with steering wheel attached. We removed the body in one piece by jacking up very carefully at several points to prevent un-due stress until we could slip a pair of 4X4s crosswize under it and thencontinued jacking the timbers outboard of the wheels. When high enough, we rolled the chasis out from under, lowered the body on to what loked like a bedframe with casters. Doors were left on and no bracing was needed. body work was done on the temp. frame. Back on the chassis now, doors are fitting fine.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star R coupe

Thanks fellas, it is sound advice. My body is rusty on the passenger side and most of the wooden structure is rotten or missing so bracing will not help my cause.

I am putting an address in this post that you can copy into your browser box at the top of your web page. It wouldn't work when I tried to search it from Google home page but it did work when I used the little search box in my tool bar. I will keep updating my website with pictures as the car comes apart. Thanks again, Brian.

http://www.briansengines.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/1926%20Star%20Model%20R%20Coupe

Now I can't get the address to work.....I am adding a my website in my profile under my name in the post, maybe you can get there using it. Sorry, Brian.

Where Are You From? www.briansengines.zoomshare.com/

The Durant Motors Automobile Club