Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
At Last!!

THANK YOU CHUCK!
Do you mean I can actually send a pic of my BRIGHT YELLOW '24 Star roadster without fear of being tarred, feathered, and run out of town - or at least out of the club!?! It really only has a couple of minor changes - is MY car, the way I want it. I do know it sure gets the looks as I drive down the street! And, thanx to Lance and Mike W for helping me get it this way! (This Oakland car was built just a few blocks away from where I grew up in Berkeley!)

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: At Last!!

Ken
I certainly hope so. I would love to see a picture of it. I just hope I'm not tarred and feathered for bring it up.
Chuck

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F touring, restored

As a new member, I noticed very few comments about modernizing a Durant. I was hoping to use my grandfathers Durant on the roads. A modern suspension and a new motor would make the restoration move along a lot quicker. Of course, I want to restore the car as original as possible but I was worried about safety. It's good to know the club will support this type of restoration and not turn away from a car that is not 100% Durant. Now, where do I begin.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1929 4 door model 6-63

BRIAN,
I RECOMMEND A STRAIGHT SIX 1970'S CHEVY ENGINE AND TRANS AND 350 AUTOMATIC OR STICK AS YOU CHOOSE, AND 50-54 CHEVY PICKUP FRONT AXLES WITH HYDRAULIC BRAKES
AND A SIMILAR OPEN REAR END FROM A CHEVY (MAYBE 1955-57 OR NOVA OR CAMARO) WITH HYDRAULICS....AND A BODY AS EXACTLY DURANT AS U CAN MAKE IT....
GOOD LUCK.........SIGNED,,.ANONYMOUS

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

OOPS...I FORGOT....A LATER STEERING BOX COMPATIBLE WITH PITMAN ARM STEERING.(EARLY MUSTANG OR REVERSED 525 CHEVY SAGINAW, BUT NOT CORVAIR OR VEGA)

STILL ANONYMOUS

Thanks, Anonymous (Gary) for the positive comments.
I'll need all the help I can get. This will be my first restoration job. My Father was a mechanic and my kid likes to work on cars, so I have some family and a few friends who will help. My Uncles are jumping on the band wagon and a few want to help in any way they can. So you may see my Durant sooner than I thought.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1929 4 door model 6-63

hello,
an after thought....lance found that a ford 6 ...200 falcon mustang engine and c-4 auto fit better than a chevy...they are shorter and can be mounted a bit lower to clear auto trans to floor ...my 29 model 70 is longer and can hold a chevy 6 but yours may not.
also, an AMC rambler had a flathead 90 h.p. 6 cyl until 1964....you might have to consider a v6 or high powered 4 cyl like toyota 22r from a truck

If you are looking for small sixes, don't forget the Champion Six or the Wasp 6. Both pretty compact engines. Both flatheads that would fool people. They are also long stroke, for slow speed torque.

And I wonder about the early postwar Willys-Overland sixes. I believe they had both flathead and F-head engines before they switched to Continentals, which are fairly big.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club