Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WE NEED YOR HELP!!

The next issue of the Durant Partner is going to be a real Dusie(pun intended);-)

But our Editor needs your help right away as November is the deadline for articles, ads, etc. If you have an article to submit, even if you think you can't write one, well write one and send it to Carol. Everyone who was in Auburn, please send Carol your stories and pictures, it's not too late and she will have room because the next issue will be an expanded version with more pages and extra color.

Rick

Re: WE NEED YOR HELP!!

While I wasn’t at Auburn, I have article idea. I was looking through the pictures of the meet and saw a beautiful black Star two door sedan street rod. It would be an interesting change to see it covered in the Partner. Now before I hear that it would be blasphemy to have a hot rod in our magazine hear me out. One of the purposes of the club is to preserve the automobiles of made by Durant. While this is not a restoration it is preserving a Star. As can be seen in the photo the body has been restored, with changes only to running gear and interior. This is no different than what Lance has done with his beautiful Durant. Lance has modified the running gear by adding a Chevy 5 speed overdrive transmission and increased the horse power of the motor 50%, if that’s not a hotrod I don’t know what is. While we should not encourage the butchering of our beloved cars into “rat rods”, a tasteful resto-rods should be allowed to be part of our great club.
Chuck Faulkner

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F touring, restored

Chuck
Although I personally believe in restoring our cars back to their original state, and not hot roding them or painting them in unusual non authentic colors, there is a place for those that transform otherwise useless bodies and shells into hot rods. When they exhibit them in shows they get the same questions as we do as to "what is a Star, or I never heard of a Durant"? The owner of the Star that showed up at Auburn was initially apprehensive about bringing the car because of the possibility of ill feelings. But I think he can attest to his being welcomed with open arms and being treated very well. The car was a beauty! Plus the owner also has a restored Star also, besides the hot rod. As car guys (and gals) everyone appreciates the detail, workmanship and time put into these types of restorations also. I think the membership would love to see articles on some of the cars made into hot rods. The DMAC is made up of all kinds with one interest. Keeping the memory of the Durant automobiles alive!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Mike, Tanks for the positive reply. I have a 1925 Star touring that that my dad and I restored 40 years ago, that I am refreshing. I would never think of rodding it and I don't believe any good original or restored car should be modified, but I believe there is a place for all car lovers within the club.
Chuck

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F touring, restored

At Last!
Now, may I send in a pic of my BEAUTIFUL BRIGHT YELLOW '24 Star roadster without fear of being tarred, feathered, and run out of town - or at least out of the club! It just has a couple of minor changes - but it is MY car, the way I want it. All I know is it sure gets a lot of attention driving down the street. (By the way - my Oakland car was built just a few bocks away from where I grew up in Berkeley.) Oh, and thanx to Lance and Frank W. for helping me on this!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi All.....

Very well said.

To preserve the cars made by Durant Motors, every one on the road brings a new awareness to the public about Billy Durant and his empire.

The fellows that brought the 2 Star cars to Auburn ( the original coupe & the street rod) are just like the rest of us "car nuts". I had met them when they stoped at our ECC Spring meet in Cleveland. Great guys, and we encouraged them to come to Auburn and bring both cars.

At least the street rod is running a small block Durant, errr Chevy.

Lets keep an open mind and welcome anyone with an interset in our cars !!!

See Y'all in Oregon......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

While this thread started as a request for articles in the next Durant Partner, it has shifted direction.

Firat Carol has all the photos that I took....and I am sure that she will go thru all of them as well as all of the others that she has received.

As for the cars in Auburn and the comments. While I am not a street rod person, I accept the fact that there are those that enjoy that part of the car hobby.

As for the restorations that Lance completes, I am the owner of two of those restorations....the first is a 1930 Durant 407. That car was restored to near perfection. It received an AACA National First Prize in 2004. The other is a 1931 Durant 619, which has an accurate restoration except for the engine and the transmission. During that restoration, there were few choices for the engine and transmission. In reality, it was either find and engine of any kind so the car could be driven or not complete the restoration. It is not a street rod by any imagination...in fact driving it more than 50 mph is sometimes very scary.

I would rather have the 619 with the engine that it has, than not have a car to show at all. Unless you know what is under the hood, you would think that it was the original engine...it looks like a 1931, it does not look like a street rod.

anyway...my two cents

My two "star's worth"......
I am the owner of the '27 street rod and the cream colored '27 coupe. I was pleased how well the street rod was accepted by such a great group of people. I think the Durant Partner articles should be kept to the stock and restored cars. I had a great time at the Auburn meet and wish it was for more than just one day.

I will try to take some picures of both cars to send in to the photograph section of the web page.
Dave

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes...a 1927 Star coupe and a 1927 Star street rod

It seems like most high quality street rods start out being high quality restorations. The fact is that street rodders are willing to spend double the money that a restorer would.
If it's too far gone, they might use the parts in a "rat rod", but those aren't meant to be faithful to anything, let alone to the history of the car. The wilder the conglomeration, the better. Its like jazz. Free expression. Like a sixteen year old with no money, but lots of imagination and skill with "found parts".

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I WAS KEEPING MY OPINIONS TO MYSELF.....BUT SEEING HOW THE CONVERSATION IS GOING.....I MUST SAY......

I AGREE WITH EVERYONE WHO HAS SPOKEN....

AND REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYONE SAYS...WE ARE THE BEST CLUB EVER !!!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

But getting back to the true purpose of my post.

Carol, needs your articles, pictures and stuff for the next issue.

Rick

The Durant Motors Automobile Club