Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pre-ignition problem, solution sought.

Third time UN-lucky!!! returning home from a very nice tour of the mid section of the Murray river and the "Boorigal Rally" in Albury NSW (8th to 14th October) the engine of my 1929 D66 sedan failed once again. On dismantling it appears that the engine seems to be pre-igniting as hot spots on head & gasket, bent conrods and failed/worn conrod circlips are apparent. Has anyone had a similar fate with their engine? This may be a result of the distibutor advancing too far at speed. Can anyone provide the advance curve for a 15L motor and the correct tension for the distributor springs. Has anyone replaced the distibutor with a modern type? if so please advise type and any other relevant information. Will have to completely remetal all bearings, new pistons etc. This problem could affect 14L & 15L motors. This car also won the best Veteran/Vintage section of the All American Car Show held at Queanbeyan, NSW (adjacent to Canberra) on 30th September.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D-66

Re: Pre-ignition problem, solution sought.

hi phil
if i had a customer come to me complaining of pinging under load i would check 2 things ignition timing and a lean high speed jet setting in the carb.
check these items
1 does your engine have a temp. sending unit in the block or is the temp gauge on the moto meter,
2 after a steady run engine up to temp. does the engine crank very hard after sitting for about 5 minutes?when restarting.
3 after a good hard run shut your engine off imediatly,don,t let it idle,remove the plugs they should be brown,not be grey or whitish looking.
4 do you here pinging under load?
5 does your engine idle properly if you have a vacume leak it won,t unless you richen it through the idle circuit.
check by cupping your hand over the carb intake and restricting air flow while at idle,if the engine speeds up you have a vacum leak.cyl. mixture will be lean and hot.
if your temp reading is from the motometer this is not your true engine temp.
looks like its to late for these tests
good luck
brian boys

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 27star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club