Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fan Pulley and Damper

I am installing a late 14L motor in a Star, Model R. It was necessary to remove the front motor support plate and chain cover and replace these with a timing chain case and cover from an early 14L. The crank on the motor being installed has an OD of 1 7/16" and the crank/fan pulley that I have is the correct size to fit over the end of the crank. However, the attached damper (part number 26225) is too large for the space in the Star. The parts book also lists a damper (part number 26294) used on both Models 55 and 60. Does anyone have one of these and could provide the ID, OD, and thickness of this damper? Has anyone solved this problem in a different way? Is there a "plain" (doesn't take a damper) fan pulley with an ID of 1 7/16"? Thanks for any help.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1929 Durant 40 and 1927 Star R cabriolet

Re: Fan Pulley and Damper

I'll try a different approach - Does anyone know if all Durant/Star dampers were the same size?
Thank you.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1929 Durant 40 and 1927 Star R cabriolet

Mac;
2 and 1/2 years later, I see your post. The damper on the 14L in my car was too big when it was installed back in the '70's, and whoever did it actually cut the sheet metal of the splash guard to get clearance for the damper. I have a spare 15L engine that has the same size damper on it. At present, I am trying to find out what to torque the damper springs to so that it will slip the proper amount, and actually be a "damper".

Where Are You From? Pomona, Ca

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

The springs should be in pockets between the two plates with friction surfaces on their outsides. Shouldn't be any "spring torque" to worry about. Unless you are talking about the free-length before installation.

Torsional dampers were found to be necessary on most six cylinder engines. Otherwise crankshafts break.

Except for a few cars, the Lanchester damper was replaced by rubber or viscous type dampers. Rolls Royce used it for the longest time.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club